The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14338 - 06/03/06 06:13 PM Beach week
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do the kids in your area go away to the beach for a week after graduating?

#14339 - 06/04/06 02:17 AM Re: Beach week
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The kids here go to Palm Beach or San Diego or somewhere like that from what I'm told. When I gaduated we went to Miller Beach in the Indiana dunes. Some of the kids parents had summer homes there so it was a blast....

#14340 - 06/04/06 04:44 AM Re: Beach week
Pam R. Offline

Did anyone see the NBC piece this morning? (I think it was NBC...) It was about Cancun beach vacations and the dangers for girls with rapes and kidnaps. Of course they mentioned the Natalie Holloway case that is still unsolved (I feel soooo bad for the family), and also had teenage girls that survived rape while on their high school graduation vacation with friends. Is it me, am I just over protective, or has the world changed since my girls went to high school about 15 years ago? I would NEVER,EVER have let my girls go at that age with friends. None of their friends ever wanted to go either. And we live in NY. I know today is different and kids seem to be doing much more than back then, but a parent is still a parent. I simply would put my foot down and say NO! If there is any respect in the home, they would not insist on going. I feel they are still not mature enough to handle such situations. What has happened to this world?

#14341 - 06/04/06 04:54 AM Re: Beach week
chatty lady Offline
Writer

PamR, YES things have changed and not for the better either. Years ago rape and kidnapping were not the norm, while now they are. People seem almost numb to the dangers. I would ever allow my kids to go anywhere now, especially out of the USA. Its dangerous enough right here let alone on foreign soil.

#14342 - 06/04/06 09:10 PM Re: Beach week
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Dotise, with 2 young ones just graduating, what is happening in your house regarding beach week?

I ahve a girlfriend who's daughter is simply great, She will be senior in college this fall. When she went to the beach after high school they had a drinking houe and a non-drinking house. I ddin't believe it then and don't now. Her Mom isnot naive but I don't think she wanted to know.

How do you feel about it?
Lynn

#14343 - 06/05/06 04:16 AM Re: Beach week
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, thanks for asking.

My son is already at the beach. He and four of his friends are renting a house for a week. They are at a beach town which he is very familiar with because we frequented it with our kids as we raised them.

We decided to let him go because in a few short months he will be away at college. He and his friends have pretty good heads on their shoulders so I believe they will have a grand time and stay out of trouble. I believe it's a great opportunity for him to show us how responsible he is. I hope I'm right. I heard from him today and he said that one of the kids from his high school was arrested for being drunk in public and resisting arrest. So many of the stores we hear about and see on TV are true, sad, but true. I continue to cover him in prayer.

My daughter graduated today. Yahoo. This has been an incredibly busy week, and fun. She chose not to go. She really had no desire to do so for which I am MOST grateful.

Pam, we have been fairly strict parents. Probably very strict, but we have tried loosening the apron strings bit by bit. We speak with our kids about everything and always have. We've talked until we're blue in the face. We are very close to them and try to treat them as the individuals they are. I only pray our words have sunk in. For the most part, our kids have made good decisions. We have experienced a few bad ones along the way and only hope they have lived and learned.

#14344 - 06/10/06 01:44 AM Re: Beach week
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Good response Dotsie, I hope I am in the same place when my son is graduating.

Lynn

#14345 - 06/10/06 06:11 AM Re: Beach week
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Thats all we can do, our best and hope it sinks in. I probably wasn't as strict (my parents weren't) but we had one daughter that even the counselors said we had to really pick our battles or she would just up and leave. And the other totally hooked up with church kids and didn't need it. Always home on time, etc...Good news is the little trouble maker does triathlons now, doesn't drink, home early...Proof prayer and diligence works. They do have to make their own choices. Sometimes better to let them make a few mistakes in the safe haven of the home.

#14346 - 06/11/06 06:12 AM Re: Beach week
Pam R. Offline

I hope all the Beach kids are home safe and sound! I know it is hard to let go, and I think I was a bit too stict, but you are right Dotsie, there comes a time when we have to trust that they have listened and learned. We just love them so much that sometimes the fear of them getting hurt prevents us from letting them grow and stand on their own feet. Believe me, I still worry every day even though they are out of the house. And now, I have my little precious baby granddaughter to worry about too! I have to learn to enjoy them all and let God keep them safe.

#14347 - 07/22/06 11:04 PM Re: Beach week [Re: Pam R.]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I was thinking when I saw this post how wonderful it would be to be lounging on a quiet stretch of beach with the waves crashing and that sweet ocean air smell, love that smell. On a blanket with my laptop writing to you all and just listening to the sounds around me and watching the sandpipers scurring about. Now thats a dream I really need about now instead of this dreadful heat wave we're having...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved