The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#937 - 12/04/05 07:36 PM What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
ladybug Offline

I've told my children over and over that a person does not have to be a Christian to adhere to and benefit from the Ten Commandments.

They are good, sensible rules that I believe, were written for *all* of mankind.

If more people lived by these rules I think the world could be a better place. I have followed those rules all of my life. While my life isn't perfect I believe it would've been far worse if I had ignored those rules.

#938 - 12/10/05 01:02 PM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
I have tried to show my grandchildren that these commandments can be remembered by looking at their hands and fingers ... one hand with these laws pertain to our relationship with God, the other hand with it's laws pertain to our relationships with others..... thanks for bringing this topic up Ladybug...

#939 - 12/10/05 06:32 PM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
ladybug Offline

Thank you for posting norma, I was beginning to think no one had a clue here as well as just not being interested but that's how topics go.

I like the explanation you gave your grandchildren. What a wise grandma they have. They are so lucky to have you!

God Bless you and your family Norma. I thank Him for letting me meet you, a comforting voice in a sea of turbulence. Thank you!

#940 - 12/11/05 08:25 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
The commandments tell me how much God loves us. A father gives his children rules for their protection and it is no different with these rules. If we follow them, we are safe (of course we'd be safer if others around us followed them also...that's the whole idea)

#941 - 12/11/05 12:49 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
ladybug Offline

Thank you for posting too Bluebird. I knew this would have meaning for you as well. I do agree too that it would be a safer world if everyone followed these rules. It would certainly be more peaceful would'nt it?

#942 - 12/11/05 01:31 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Good afternoon Bluebird... i think you really hit a key point with the word 'protection'.. seems to me all laws are given in order to protect .. either oneself or others from oneself. ..

Thanks for the compliment Ladybug.. but rest assured i'm no where near wise, it's just that if something doesn't make sense to me, i can not try to put it into practice.. I am right handed, so to me the last half of the 10 commandments i relate to with my right
hand....... that's the hand i use for good or monkey business, that's the hand that effects my relationship with others........ my left hand
is the one that stablizes, or supports whatever i'm doing...... so my left hand (for me) represents the first part of the commandments, as it is the over arching power of Goodness, which sustains and supports all life..... (probably that doesn't make much sense but..maybe by stretching your imagination you can see what i mean ..)
have a good evening Ladybug and Bluebird. .

No, that doesn't make sense does it? Better to put it this way maybe.... i pour whatever into the cup with my right hand, but it is the left which holds the cup.........(?)

<small>[ December 10, 2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: norma ]</small>

#943 - 12/11/05 04:53 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
ladybug Offline

I'm left-handed dear, kind Norma. Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. I will think of you then whenever I think of the ten commandments.

#944 - 01/20/06 05:58 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Yes, I agree with the description of protection. They are for our own good, and all those around us. How much better our world would be if we all lived by them!

I thank God for them. It just shows how much he cares for each detail of our daily lives!

#945 - 01/20/06 11:42 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Ladybug, the Ten Commandments are Jewish. Christians adopted them later.

Most religions have similar precepts about respecting your fellow human beings. Not all religions are monotheistic patriarchies, so the "God" commandments are not their view of religion, nor do I think they should be.

#946 - 01/21/06 08:46 AM Re: What do the Ten Commandments mean to you?
ladybug Offline

Thank you Meredith. I must admit I didn't know this fact.

I wonder if many people know that Christianity sprung from Judaism?

Some of our beliefs are so similar.

<small>[ January 20, 2006, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]</small>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved