The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 59 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#916 - 12/09/05 08:50 AM The Blessed Virgin Mary
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about Mary here, and I'm not trying to start anything heated!
Today is the feast of the Immaculate Conception in the Catholic church so I just wanted to share a little of what that means. Many people think it is about the conception of Jesus in Mary's womb but that is wrong. It is about the conception of Mary in her mother's womb. The teaching says that in view of her becoming the Mother of God (not meaning she's the creator of God, but the one who bore Him)that God kept her from the sin nature. This was not based on her greatness, but the greatness of God. God could have easily created a Son without a human mother, but He chose to humble Himself further by letting a woman bear Him. He did this to raise the status of women, and also to show us what we could be. Mary was fully human, yet she is a model disciple of Jesus. Who could love a son more than a mother?
Who could teach others to love her son better than a mother could? We women especially should honor (not worship) Mary and follow her example of loving Jesus from the moment He comes into our lives, till death and beyond...

I hope I haven't offended anyone, Christian or non Christian. I just wanted to share another part of what I believe and try to live out. Mary was a major stumbling block for me when I became Catholic but after years of prayer and reading, I think I've come to understand her place in the Divine plan.

#917 - 12/08/05 09:28 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
ladybug Offline

Thank you Bluebird, that was beautiful and even taught me a few things as well. I've been a Catholic all of my 54 years and up until about 40 of them did I really come to understand Mary and all the glorious mysteries around her as well as her real purpose as God had intended.

Isn't Christmas then about Her, almost as much as Jesus since she has such a special, important part? Without Her could we be celebrating Christmas and the birth of Jesus?

<small>[ December 08, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]</small>

#918 - 12/08/05 09:34 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
Bluebird Offline

I believe Christmas is all about Mary as well as Jesus. When a woman has a baby, don't you celebrate the birth with her, not in place of her? Some people see Mary as a vessel, which she was, but why do they think she gave birth and then became unimportant? If Christians are the bride of Christ, are we not supposed to honor our spouse's mother as if she was our own? We do that with our earthly spouses and their moms. You can't say to your husband "I love you" and then ignore his mother. Honoring her would not take away from the love you have for him.

#919 - 12/08/05 09:36 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
Bluebird Offline

Also, if we believe that Jesus is 100% God and 100% man, then she is His mother every bit as much as God is His Father.
So she absolutely gave Him to the world when she gave her "yes" to God through Gabriel.

#920 - 12/08/05 09:55 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Lovely topic Bluebird and Ladybug. I was raised Pentecostal but turned Catholic in the early 90's and have not heard that explanation on Mary before. I love it and happen to agree with it.

Thanks for posting it.
Sandpiper

#921 - 12/08/05 10:11 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
ladybug Offline

Bluebird you just keep coming up with more profound insights into Mary.

Sandpiper, my second cousin was raised as a Catholic but now her and her husband have been Pentecostals for over 35 years. He is also one of the reverends of their church. They really are devoted to it and very sincere in their beliefs.

#922 - 12/08/05 11:26 PM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
They say Mary was about thirteen at the time of the birth of Jesus. Imagine how terrified she must have been. Only God's grace could have empowered her for such great responsibility. I have a song on my website from a Christmas play that speaks of her fear and accepting God's will.

Christians have so much to be grateful for at this time of year and Mary's acceptance of God's will is part of what we celebrate.

smile

#923 - 12/09/05 12:27 AM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
Bluebird Offline

Sandpiper, how are you feeling?

#924 - 12/09/05 05:03 AM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Blurbird does it say anywhere (I can't find anything) whether or not Mary suffered the pain of childbirth or not. I know she herself was a child of 13 or so. I have never been able to get an answer to that question from the church...

#925 - 12/09/05 05:19 AM Re: The Blessed Virgin Mary
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi, Bluebird - nice topic, BTW

My Mother is Baptist & my Dad was Catholic. When his mother died, I wanted one of her Mary statues. Well, needless to say, my Baptist mother & step dad were freakin'. They asked me why. I told them 'because it reminds me of Jesus'. It was so simple! A minor miracle; and I got to keep my statue without any more grief.

I'm glad to hear someone say Catholics honor her, not worship her. That's the way it always seemed to me - but try telling a non-Catholic that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved