The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199790 - 02/17/10 08:29 PM Lenten Season
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Just a little over two months ago, we celebrated Christmas and so soon thereafter is Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of the Lenten Season from today.

I went for my ashes at noon today. There were two priests at Mass with the younger one quite liberal with marking the forehead with the sign of the cross. It happened to be the case that I had to take my place in the queue before him and ended up with a dominant 2" x 2" mark, as did those who were in the same queue with me. Father's ashes were also quite wet, which kept the ashes stuck on my forehead for the rest of the day. I had to control the urge and mischief to cry Repent! everytime I caught a reflection of myself today.

There is a prayer called the Litany of Humility which my Mom taught me in preparation for Lent in order to understand and continue to develop one's intuitive spiritual relation to the significance of the season and the Divine, which I would now like to share with you.

"O JESUS! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

Deliver me
From the desire of being esteemed
From the desire of being loved
From the desire of being extolled
From the desire of being honoured
From the desire of being praised
From the desire of being preferred
From the desire of being consulted
From the desire of being approved
From the fear of being humiliated
From the fear of being despised
From the fear of being rebuked
From the fear of being calumniated
From the fear of being forgotten
From the fear of being ridiculed
From the fear of being wronged
From the fear of being suspected.

Jesus, grant me the grace to desire
That others may be loved more than I
That others may be esteemed more than I
That, in the opinion of the world
others may increase and I may decrease
That others may be chosen and I set aside
That others may be praised and I unnoticed
That others may be preferred to me in everything
That others may become holier than I, provided
that I may become as holy as I should."

#199794 - 02/17/10 08:47 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Lola]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Lola, thank you for sharing this. You have brought me back to my religious roots for a moment. I do have to look up the word "calumniated." Thank you.

#199819 - 02/18/10 11:19 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Lola, is there an appropriate greeting or saying for Lent? -- because "Have a happy Lent" doesn't sound right.

Poet and essayist

#199827 - 02/19/10 01:16 AM Re: Lenten Season [Re: meredithbead]
Lola Offline

A Peaceful and Blessed Lent is an appropriate greeting, Meredith. "Happy" is also appropriate even when the season calls for atonement, abstinence, and reflections on the Passion at Triduum. Lent, whilst it is visibly sorrowful in practice and tradition, is also a happy event because we anticipate Easter and the renewal significance thereof. Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), is a break in the middle of the austerity of the Lenten season, which serves as a reminder that reflections need not be all forlorn but, hopeful.

#199834 - 02/19/10 02:21 AM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

You're welcome, Lynn.

When I was little (pre-school), I used to be terrified when my parents took me to Church for ashes because of "...unto dust thou shall return". I used to associate Lent with the number 40 instead. It was easier to think that God must love the number so much because Lent shared the number of days with Noah and Moses.

#199844 - 02/19/10 01:06 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, I just printed this and am going to hang it on my bathroom mirror. Thanks for sharing. It's lovely.

In the Catholic tradition, we always gave something up/sacrificed for Lent. Do you still do that?

I am taking something up. I'm sending an encouraging, snail mail note a day to either family or friend, or shut-in, etc.

What is anyone else doing?

Any other suggestions?

#199845 - 02/19/10 01:06 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
PS - I miss Eagle!

#199855 - 02/19/10 06:12 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

So do I. Eagle posted last when we were discussing the earthquake in Haiti. I hope she has heard about her foster child and that all is well.

Yep. I still observe Lenten rules on fasting and abstinence. Then, I'll be off for my annual retreat with the nuns on the week leading to Palm Sunday.

#199856 - 02/19/10 06:40 PM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Anticipation is observed in our church during Lent. however personally I feel Good Friday to be heavy and sorrowful..

#199871 - 02/20/10 12:02 AM Re: Lenten Season [Re: Mountain Ash]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie I love your idea about sending a snail mail card or note to someone each day of Lent...do you mind if I borrow that idea from you and do it as well? smile

I attend Mass daily during Lent and this year I'm giving up all white foods ...i.e. sugar, potatoes, bread...it's a true sacrifice for me and one that I am going to need lots of grace from The Lord to accomplish...I pray I can stick with it.

My husband suggested I give up the computer....maybe next year.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved