The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#138069 - 01/15/08 01:53 PM Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This was a spontaneous way of dealing with a sinkful of gross dishes this morning. I had already washed a sinkful after supper last night, but hubby's been working strange hours and, well, there it was, another sinkful when I came down for breakfast this morning. So I quickly filled the sink with hot soapy water, then let them soak while I ate my breakfast. Usually after breakfast, I come here to BWS, so was admittedly a little resentful of having to do all those dishes before I could visit BWS.

But as some of you know, I'm working on my gratitude attitude, and focusing on the positive and the good in my life. So instead of being grumpy, I decided to pray while doing the dishes. So as I washed each dish, I prayed a prayer of gratitude, for the food that those dishes had held, for all the people who had helped to get that food to our dishes, for all the people in all of the factories who had made the dishes, for all the people who had ever visited our house and used these pieces of cutlery, etc, etc - it became creative and fun - and very inspiring - to try to imagine who could possibly be thanked for the various things I was washing.

I was astounded by how powerful that prayer-time became, how even just one dish would inspire the mental image of people all over the world working on that dish - the people it took to create the machinery to make it, the people who designed the motif, the people who farmed the various foods...the list is ENDLESS! Very very powerful global connection there! It turned out to be a rather awesome experience.

So I share this - just in case anyone dares to try it the next time they have a sinkful of gross dishes - or a child/grandchild who needs a little extra incentive to wash them with gratitude instead of grumpy resentment.

(Maya Angelou)

#138070 - 01/15/08 02:39 PM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise [Re: Eagle Heart]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
EH, your post was timely. As soon as I read this I remembered my sudsy sink full of soaking dishes. Instead of grumbling I went out right away and got them done with all the thoughts you shared in mind. It was a great attitude adjustment! It reminds me of the old poem, author unknown:
Thank God for dirty dishes;
They have a tale to tell.
While others may go hungry,
We're eating very well
With home, health, and happiness,
I shouldn't want to fuss;
By the stack of evidence,
God's been very good to us.

#138071 - 01/15/08 03:01 PM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise [Re: ladyjane]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
LadyJane, that poem was life-changing for me. I first read it several years ago on a plaque hanging above my aunt's kitchen sink. It was one of those "aha" moments.

I grew up hating dishes - from the time I was a young girl, I had to do all of the day's dishes (including all pots and pans - and my Mom used a lot of them!) for a family of six by myself every night after supper. It would usually take me close to two hours to do them. While I was sweating in a hot kitchen (or freezing in winter), my brothers were all either outside playing or watching TV. Every night, for almost 10 years, I had to wash, dry and put away all of those dishes (from three meals) all by myself...and some nights if I forgot any, I was awakened from sleep to go downstairs and finish them. So I grew up HATING dishes with a passion.

That was one of my criteria for a husband - he HAD to want to help with dishes, because there was no way I was going to do that Cinderella thing ever again. My hubby LOVES doing dishes, and now I often have to fight with him to let me do any. I've gotten better over the years, in fact, don't mind doing them at all. But it was reading that poem that completely healed me of any leftover scars or woundedness to do with dishes.

This morning was extraordinarily powerful - almost makes me look forward to the next sinkful...

(Maya Angelou)

#138072 - 01/15/08 07:01 PM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise [Re: Eagle Heart]
glessmom Offline

Loc: WI
What a fantastic idea, Eagle! And loved the poem too, LadyJane. So many times we are ungrateful for the abundance that we have. Thanks for reminding all of us!

www.ugomom.com

#138073 - 01/15/08 09:03 PM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise [Re: glessmom]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a sweet idea and a great way to go about any chore.

A minister friend who liked to make bread, once shared how he prayed for a differnt person every time he kneaded the bread. I love doing things like this.

We had a row of trees planted along the back drive. When I water them, each tree represents a different family member. I begin with my immediate family, then move along to my dad and FIL, then siblings and their families, and then my BIL and his family. I try to cover all of us while watering. It's fun and a great way to pass the time.

#138074 - 01/16/08 03:57 AM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Now that's a wonderful way to turn something unpleasant into something grateful...way to go. You're an inspiration.

#138075 - 01/21/08 02:17 PM Re: Washing Dishes - Powerful Prayer Exercise [Re: Dee]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Eagle: What a beautiful attitude and what a great idea.

One of the poems in my book (in Spanish) talks about the chores of a housewife and what they mean to a grateful heart. When I went to Puerto Rico, I read it at a Women's Ministry event and some were in tears, realizing the blessings that those chores represent.

The attitude of visualizing the blessing it represents has helped me, personally, to view life's responsibilities in a different light.

Dotsie, I also love the idea of praying for someone different while preparing the bread-awesome!

But I gotta go take care of some of those "Life's blessings" right now. So, I'll talk some more later!
NABBW & NAWW

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved