The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 208 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1072 - 09/16/05 07:12 AM Feminism vs Religion
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was listening to a radio program that was discussing how feminism goes against Christianity. They said the words in the Bible remain true regardless of the era we live in. Thoughts?

#1073 - 09/16/05 07:50 AM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dianne,

I think that saying feminism goes against Christianity is too broad a statement to say yes or no to. For one thing, the word feminist means different things to different people. Did they mean the current feminist movement? IMO the feminist movement was needed at one time, but like most unions, it is no longer relevent.

I do believe the Bible is the Truth regardless of the time we live in and that it is a blueprint for living a good and satisfying life. However, some of the words are parables and we have to discern what they mean. Each person must read/study the Bible (a group study is the best for me) and determine for themselves what it means.

In Jesus' day He was a radical feminist and gave women more power and treated them better than anyone in His time. But at the same time, if I ever marry again, I want the Biblical style of marriage, which means the man is the head of the house. So I have to be very careful about my choice and I'll probably be single the rest of my life. LOL

Daisygirl

#1074 - 09/15/05 08:27 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Oh my, my, my...this is certainly a can of worms ( or perhaps, other forms of Biblical pestilence [Wink] )

I attended a Christian college and this was, by far, THE most difficult question. And it never was satisfactorily answered.

I agree with you, Daisy, that it's too broad a statement to say yes or no to, but I'd like to hear more about why you think the feminist movement is no longer relevent and why you want the Biblical style of marriage. I am intrigued by these statements.

#1075 - 09/15/05 09:40 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Sera Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Ct. USA
Hello everyone!I'm new here and I agree that this can certainly be a thorny subject! I used to have a harder time with it when I was younger, but age has either worn me down or given me wisdom..maybe a little of both! [Big Grin] I'm happy to let my husband be the head of the house, tho' he doesn't make many decisions, especially large ones, without talking things over with me before. Each church seems to handle a woman's role differently as well, so it can be very confusing. I'm happiest when I try to find God's will for MY life..what does He want me to do, and then attempting to do it...without worrying too much about the larger picture. Thanks for listening and the good thread. Blessings...S.

#1076 - 09/15/05 10:07 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I agree with Daisygirl's statement that saying feminism goes against Christianity is too broad a statement to say yes or no to. For one thing, the word feminist means different things to different people.

From Sera: he [hubby] doesn't make many decisions, especially large ones, without talking things over with me before.

That's the same for me...hubby and I are partners in all the ways that count, and we take turns being the "head of the household" when one's particular gifts and talents better suit the part of the household that needs heading at the time!

from Sera: Each church seems to handle a woman's role differently as well, so it can be very confusing. I'm happiest when I try to find God's will for MY life..what does He want me to do, and then attempting to do it...without worrying too much about the larger picture.

That's how I prefer to live my life too...at my own pace, and in whatever ways that will bring the most peace and mutual contentment in our marriage and household. I'm no pushover, but have become really good at calmly negotiating the little things so that we both win.

My bottom line is that I firmly believe in everyone's innate freedom to be all that they are, and the right to become the best that they can be. I love my husband with every fiber of my being. So out of that love, I try to provide a safe place for him to be who he is, and try to facilitate his becoming the best that he can become...and for the most part, he does the same for me, although I do have to remind him how to best do that, and coax him in that direction sometimes.

[ September 15, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#1077 - 09/16/05 12:04 AM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Daisygirl Offline

The feminist movement was very important in the past and helped women move closer to making the same pay for the same work. And in the distant past, they helped to get us the right to vote. I'm not an attorney, but with my limited knowledge of law, I'd say on the whole, we are very protected against discrimination based on gender. The people who discriminate against women are breaking the law and we have the right to sue them. I think the information revolution has reduced the need for many groups. I am open to other ideas and look forward to hearing your comments on this topic.

As for the Biblical marriage, I don't want to go into the theology of it, I don't have time to write a book. I was listening to Dr. James Dodson on the radio and he said it best. He said he and his wife have that type of marriage, one in which the husband should love the wife as Christ loved the Church and the wife should submit. He said that in 40 years of marriage his wife made all the decisions regarding their family. Only twice did he have to say I'm sorry, but we can't do whatever. I've been married twice and a few serious relationships and I have never been loved as much as Christ loved the Church. If you look at Ephesians 5:22-33, and really study it, IMO it seems as if the wife gets the better deal. But let's get real, it takes 2 very emotionally healthy and Godly people to make a Biblical marriage work.

Daisygirl

#1078 - 09/16/05 01:36 AM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think the church feared the feminist movement because it seemed to come against the family but with so many women working now, it has really helped our gender. However, discrimination is still practiced against women outside of the work place and that bothers me.

I'm more than happy to have my husband be the head of the house (see thread: I need a wife) but I don't appreciate it when he makes decisions that have an impact on both of us without discussing it with me. Something he now does since I threatened him with a 4" high heel stabbed through his instep. [Eek!]

#1079 - 09/16/05 04:31 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Daisy, I liked your answers. The reason I asked for your response was I was looking for input from somebody closer to my age. In the class I was in, the Gen X women (I was, literally, the only one over 30 [Roll Eyes] ) had some SERIOUS disbelief with regard to any real progress having been made with regard to discrimination, and they ABSOLUTELY rejected the automatic "husband is head of household" concept, saying that this was Paul speaking, and not God. (And this is in a Biblical Literature class at a Christian university!) I know Ephesians 22+ backwards and forwards because it was the source of outrageous debates in that class. In the end, the professor had to tell everybody to agree to disagree and drop it. But, I'll tell you, after that, the class just fell apart along gender lines. I didn't say too much because I was kind of stunned at the vehemence with which each side fought. It was certainly a "lesson" I never expected to learn!

#1080 - 09/16/05 05:44 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Daisygirl Offline

When I was their age, I thought the same way but changed my mind around 36. Wouldn't you like to have the same discussion with the same people in 20 years?

#1081 - 09/16/05 06:18 PM Re: Feminism vs Religion
Sera Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Ct. USA
Very good point Daisygirl.Fifty, you must have been a little shocked to experience that "lesson" at a Christian college! [Eek!] But I do think your viewpoint DOES change over time-as Eagle Heart stated, you just long for peace in the family and to help your spouse get along the best you can. My husband seems like a gift from God to me, my marriage being a re-marriage after single parenthood for years.While nothing is ever perfect and we have our share of troubles and disagreements to face like any married couple, I accord him the respect he deserves and he does the same for me. With God as the center of our marriage, we manage not to go TOO far astray! Blessings....S.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved