The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1504 - 01/29/05 05:41 AM Faith gone?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Before I post this, please, please, please don't preach to me, okay?

I used to faithfully go to church...morning, night, wednesday night and sometimes in between. I used to sing on Trinity Broadcasting Network. I was in charge of special music for my church. I was a good Christian woman. And then...

My husband started chasing other women, etc. and my children and I went through so much and it was really scary for us. I finally had to divorce him as he was flaunting some woman around our home town. My church would no longer let me sing because of his actions. Whatever. Said I lost my "umbrella of protection" that my husband afforded me.

Then, I move and start going to a class at a huge church (so I could get lost in the crowd) and it was for divorced people. Loved it but our great leader, one of the assoc. pastor's of this church, was caught buying drugs on the street. This was after he condemned us up and down for months on end saying we had sin in our camp. Guess we found out where the sin was! I also got tired of men trying to pick me up at our meetings. It's church!!!!!

Long story even longer, I got tired of the fakery. Now, I know we aren't supposed to look at man but come on, what makes up a church but the people?

I still have faith in God but I can't force myself to go to certain churches. Most churches. My sister is now the same way. Those who preached at us turned out to be liars.

#1505 - 01/29/05 06:09 AM Re: Faith gone?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dianne,
I don't go to church every Sunday . If you don't go to Church that is Ok! I say you can show kindness and help people and show your faith that way. I have had friends say were very religous and they were not there when I needed them. Etc. You have to do what is best for you.

What is they say it is not good to judge or be judged . Something like that .

#1506 - 01/29/05 06:58 AM Re: Faith gone?
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
Didn't the biblesay "we are the church" A "church is simply a building where we all gather. Correct me if I'm wrong. But we can minister and do Gods will regardless of whether we attend church every sunday It's whats in our hearts that count.

Keep the faith and remember you are God's child and He loves you

#1507 - 01/29/05 09:07 AM Re: Faith gone?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dianne, I know what you mean about the church singles programs. Deliver me from that. I really think they're just a place to put us single women and men so we don't 'bother' the married folks. I have been only a few times and Hated it. Glorified pick up bar. Never again.

However, I like to go to church on Sunday morning, but it is for myself, not really for God. I believe I can worship Him just by experiencing the joy of wherever I am, especially if I am in nature.
However, I also believe that my spirit, like my body, needs exercise and like with my body exercising my spirit is easier if I am with others who are moving with me.
I feel my spirit being moved in the singing and my intellect in the sermon so it's a good thing for me. Of course I have not been going since getting in this cast, but I will again as soon as I get the cast off though it won't be because it is necessary to get into heaven or even to please God who is probably happier when I find him in life wherever I am living it.
smile

#1508 - 01/29/05 07:58 PM Re: Faith gone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, I have to admit your post pains me. I worked in a church as the Director of Member Care for a few years. One of my responsibilites was church membership/recruitment if you want to call it that. I was responsible for the visitors and new members.

I've heard many stories similar to yours. The church has turned so many people away, especially our generation growing up and getting married in the 60's and 70's.

I know friends who couldn't get married in the Catholic Church because they admitted to premarital sex, while others chose to lie to the priest so they could still get married in the church. How ridiculous is that?

I believe Jesus hates the sin, but embraces the sinner.

The fact that your church would no longer let you sing because of his actions makes my blood boil.

All sins are sins before God. Those very people who asked you to leave are sinners too. We all are. How can you be set apart?

I believe God never intended that religion be what it is today. He sent Jesus to free us from the regiment of following rules and regulations. He wanted His disciples to guide and serve, not dictate and legislate. When we do this we become just like the Pharisees.

I find it hard to believe that Jesus ever wanted religion to damage people. Religion comes from the heart and a deep relationship with God. It should bring peace, joy, love, and kindness to people, not fear, guilt, or separation.

God's prime concern is people, not religious laws and division.

My belief is that church is a hospital for sinners, NOT a museum for saints. Churches that come across as museums are shooting themsleves in the foot.

The churches that are growing embrace all of God's people (especially those with flaws) and have classes and retreats to help all become more like Christ. Imagine that! Remember who Christ picked as His disciples?

I believe we need to be in a church family. We need to be surrounded by a community of believers even if it's only in the pew on Sunday mornings. I'm not saying jump in with both feet, but do jump in and be strengtheened by the services and let the Holy Spirit take over from there.

If you take a log and remove it from the fire, it will smolder and burn out. The same can be true of Christians when removed from the church. We need one another!

If you don't like the idea of church, look for a prayer group or Bible study. Just find a way to commune with other Christians. It's good for us.

One of my favorite groups isn't associated with my church. It's a non-denominational gathering that meets on Tuesdays for lunch and faith discussions. The beauty of it is we don't dicuss what's going on in our churches. We talk about our faith only. It was a welcome relief to have church politics left at the door.

Sorry for rambling!

#1509 - 01/30/05 08:03 AM Re: Faith gone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
PS. I'm not preaching to you Dianne...only getting some things off my chest.

Your title...faith gone is far from the truth. The fact that you are posting about it means you have faith! Unfortunately, you have been mislead by the very people who are called to lead you. Isn't that sad?

I love you and would never pass judgment on you.

#1510 - 01/30/05 08:47 AM Re: Faith gone?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Beautifully said Dotsie.
smile

#1511 - 01/29/05 09:36 PM Re: Faith gone?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I see a lot of control issues in some churches. I see a lot of "let's get this guy converted so we'll have a big feather in our cap" rather than really be concerned for a person's soul. Being married to a Jew (non-practicing) I've seen a lot of this. Oh, it's easy to detect because I used to do it myself. Have a dinner and the conversation begins to be directed toward Christianity, etc. Very much a turn off. Do people realize how uncomfortable that can make someone? My husband studied other religions in his class as a child so they would be more understanding and tolerant of others's beliefs. Most churches I've attended even have guest speakers who talk about other religions and what's wrong with them.

I'm not against God. I'm against what people have turned Him into. Something to be used for their own control devices.

#1512 - 01/29/05 09:37 PM Re: Faith gone?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotise ,

I agree with you. How lovely . Beautiful words Dotise.

#1513 - 01/30/05 01:35 AM Re: Faith gone?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
This month's Christianity Today has an excellent article by Tim Stafford on this issue "The Church why bother?" I recommend reading it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved