The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 94 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#98755 - 12/10/06 09:34 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: dejavu]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Also should mention, my mom's facility did have some pets - birds, fish - but you couldn't exactly hold and cuddle them!

#98756 - 12/10/06 01:37 PM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: dejavu]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
That's good to hear Chatty. I don't think you mentioned that in your post. Since I am the Admin for a nursing home administrator and work for all departments I know there are many rules and state regulations they have to go by. Our residents do go out (the ones who can). We have our own bus. I work in a 180 bed facility that also has an adult day center. In addition to the many daily activities we have for our residents, we take them out to lunch at local restaurants, to plays at a local theater we have, and to the Boston Pops. Not all nursing homes offer as much. I'm sure the residents at yours appreciate the time and attention you lovingly offer. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Louisa

#98757 - 12/10/06 02:04 PM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, I love your heart. Good for you to get the scoop, but to rise above it. That's what we're called to do. It's not about us, or proving our point. It's simply about doing what we are called to do. And I believe you have a pet and elderly ministry.

#98758 - 12/13/06 04:54 PM Re: Senior Power Idea [Re: dejavu]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I LOVE the idea of doing for senior citizens in nursing homes, especially over the holidays. You have my deep admiration.

What concerns me is bringing pets into an area where certain seniors might not be able to communicate their animal phobia or allergic response to dogs and/or cats.

I mentioned to my husband that due to my intense animal phobia, should I ever require the services of a rehab facility or nursing home, to please consider hiring in-home care instead, as the now-routine bringing of pets into a nursing home could surely trgger a major panic attack or possible heart attack. As a nurse I have friends who work in facilities where certain stroke victims and others who cannot communicate, exhibit severe symtoms of stress or allergy when in the presence of animals. (The staff and volunteers usually do not check beforehand about any animal phobias or allergies)

Pets can also be very therapeutic for some patients, so maybe a good solution would be to have the nursing home staff check with each patient or their family to see if a problem exists, before bringing animals into a facility. Then those patients whose physical or psychological health might be in jeopardy can be moved to a safe secure environment.

Just a thought.....

#98759 - 12/13/06 09:29 PM Re: Senior Power Idea [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The pets that are brought in are in a special solarium side room and the guests come in there to visit with the animals, so they are able to speak and get around okay on their own. A few who are permitted to, and are agreeable have the small pets brought to their bedside. But they must sign up for this and get approval from their doctor and relatives..

Edited by chatty lady (12/13/06 09:30 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved