The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91941 - 10/16/06 06:22 AM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Bathbuddys Offline

Loc: Midwest
Vicki,
OH my goodness,
I have 3 sons in the military so this subject is VERY close to me and my heart. It amazes me of the stuff that goes on that the "public" isn't aware of with these kids.
I always support the boys though as that is what I am suppose to do as a MOM.
This was a REALLY big burden and the oldest one left first so it was one that I worried about, but when the two others went in last year a couple of months apart, IT sent me into an Empty Nest depression that I am just coming out the other end of.
I raised my alone though so I had never been seperated from my boys. Anyway it got to the point where I had to give this burden over to god as it was just too heavy for me to carry.
I miss them terribly but that is normal.
I hope to have them home on Thanksgiving together as that seems to be when they were all home last year, but it doesn't mean that it will happen this year.

My oldest is in the Air Force and has retrained as a Fire Fighter and just absolutely loves it. He just has a blast!
Oh course I don't tell him that this is something more to worry about but I am REALLY proud of all of them.
I wish them all the best and we all appreciate life a lot more now.
With you and his dad being in the Marine Corps, it doesn't surprise me that he would choose that branch!
We have them in the Marines, Army, Air Force and Navy at the moment so we got them all pretty much covered...hehe

I wish you and your family the best. and just keep in mind, that you will need to come and talk to us as your son will be a whole different story going in....

Big Hugs,
nancy

#91942 - 10/17/06 01:44 AM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Bathbuddys]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
BBuddy, what did you mean by this: "We have them in the Marines, Army, Air Force and Navy at the moment so we got them all pretty much covered...hehe" I read that you have 3 sons in the military (that's amazing!) but then you said "we" and you named 4 service branches. Do you have a daughter in the military too? Vicki, your son's decision sounds so noble and mature.

#91943 - 10/22/06 04:39 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Here's a little true story about my step-son and his wanting to go into the Navy. (I realize they're not like the Marines...first in and all so I respectully don't mean to lessen your son's choice of military).
I heard from my MIL that her grandson, my step-son (23 yrs old) wanted to go into the Navy and didn't I think that was awful, especially with the war in Iraq? I told her no, I didn't. I thought it was brave and heroic and that I was proud of him. My MIL was taken aback and said Larry Wayne's mother was freaking out with all kinds of negativity and just knew he was going to go over there and never come back. (Gee, I knew my step-son's Mother went around acting like she was God but I now she can predict his future life/death as well?) Larry Wayne called me and started talking to me about the military because he knew I was from a military background...I and both my boys are veterans and my older son is still serving his country and has been in two wars thus far. WHen I spoke with Larry Wayne I gave him calm, positive information I knew about being in the military from my point of view. I gave him the downsides but didn't try to make him scared to death about anything. I gave him my sons' phone numbers so he could call them and talk to them, I called Washington and found people he could talk to about the field he wanted to go in to. I helped him make a decision through informed advice of both the pros and cons, and yes he knew there was a chance of the ultimate sacrifice. Anyone who raises their hand to join the military knows that from the get-go..it's part of the oath we take.
One day Larry Wayne came to me and we sat and talked. He said, "Dee, you're always so up and positive about the military. My mom is so down and negative about it all that I can't talk to her about it." It made me feel so good knowing that he felt safe coming to me with his feelings. It was wonderful knowing I'd given my step-son a place to talk openly and safely with. I talked to my Mother-in-law about LW and our positive talks...when she started getting negative, too, I reminded her that LW was a grown man and it was his decision and if that's what he wanted to do the family needed to stand behind him and support him, not give him more things to worry about. Besides, there are lots of folks who are in the military that never go to war and we shouldn't put that worry at LW's feet until we know for sure that's what's going to happen. He needs support and that's what I wanted to give him...always. LW knows the risks.
Today he's finishing his last week of basic training for the Navy and he's so excited about his choice of being in the Navy. I've written him letters every week and we've gotten calls and letters from him as well. During one phone call he told me he loved me. Now THAT made me cry.
LW is happy and excited about his new life in the military and can't wait to continue with his training.
I guess my point, Vicki, is this: It's your sons choice and how you support him will affect him. Yes, it's dangerous, yes, there's no guarantees, yes, he knows all this going in...all veterans know this, as did you when you joined. It's okay to be worried about him but don't give him the extra burden of having to worry about his Mother. Give him your support, letters, care packages, love and all the pictures and phone calls he can stand. But, try not to be down on him for his choice of career in life. He'll somehow feel he's letting you down instead of following his dream. I hope this helps.
My prayers are daily for you and your family and just ask God to lead your son where he's meant to be and protect him. Then let your son know you love him and will be there to support him all you can. It will make things easier for him, and he's the priority.
A firefighter is such an honorable profession. I'm proud of him for both choices...a firefighter and a marine. What a wonderful young man. You should be very, very proud of him. I am.
God bless you both, sweetheart.

#91944 - 10/22/06 04:44 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

Nancy, God bless you and your children. Wow!!! You must be so proud of them. I have the old star flags mother's used to hang in their windows during WWII. My grandmother had 3 sons in WWII so her flag had 3 stars. All boys came home and lived wonderful lives. I ended up with the star flag and keep it displayed proudly in my home.
I'm so proud of you and thanks to your children for serving our country.

#91945 - 10/22/06 05:00 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm proud of all of them. My Daddy served in the Navy and saw 13 battles. He also helped me understand that this was a decision best made by my grown children for THEIR own lives, not by an emotional Mother who would hold her sons to her breast forever, if possible.

As mine never did serve, I can calmy add my two cents worth but please know that I think all of your children, sons and daughters alike, are brave! Also, please THANK THEM from me for what they are doing.

Please also know that I hold ALL the service men and women in my heart. Oh I just get weepy when I even see them in uniform at the Mall, a grocery store, or just standing in line somewhere. I never fail to say to them, "thank you for what you do." They never miss a beat and say, "Yes ma'm, you're welcome, and thank YOU!" I always walk away with tears in my eyes. God Bless them all!

#91946 - 10/22/06 06:52 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

My son was in a documentary on TV the other night...Colen Powell was doing a piece on the military channel about Desert Storm. My husband was watching while I cooked dinner. Suddeny, he yell, Dee, come here. I think I just saw Ray (my son) on TV. They were showing a piece about air refuelers and Ray had actually sent me a VCR tape full of air refueling they did during the firsts Gulf War. Thank goodness we have TIVO and we quickly rewound the piece my husband was referring to. Sure enough, there was my son, on his belly, refueling a fighter jet with loads of them waiting to be gassed up. Tears came to my eyes when I saw him. I kept rewinding it over and over and over and when Mr. Powell said at one time there were over 700 planes in the air refueling and waiting to be refueled, I realized how important my son's job was. He wasn't on the ground with a gun in his hand but he one of the many who kept our fighters fueled so they could protect our troops on the ground. The biggest threat for Ray was mid-air collisions, which he said almost happened to his plane twice because air traffic was so heavy.
Ray is a SMSgt now and will retire, hopefully, in about 3 years. He was only 32 when he made Senior Master Sergeant and that's pretty remarkable. He's been a boom his entire military career and did not agree to go in unless he had that job. He knew what he wanted from the start and he's never regretted that decision.
I had to put my faith in God and Ray's good sense that they both knew what they were doing.
Vicki, hang in there. God knows what He's doing.
Hugs to you

#91947 - 10/22/06 07:44 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: chatty lady]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Vicki, although I'm not a parent, I understand your concerns. I believe it is a wonderful opportunity, he only has to complete one (1) enlistment and if it works, may reenlist, or not. If he does decide to join, he needs to be aware of the education opportunities, whether on active duty or the GI Bill. Take as much advantage of the an 'free' money towards an education. Also, from my experience in the USAF, I would highly recommend being stationed overseas and see the world. A young soldier stationed overseas does not need a car and can easily save $$$. He's a brave young man.

#91948 - 10/22/06 09:18 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, thanks everyone for your stories for Vicki. Vicki, how about an update?

Dee, I got goose bumps reading that you saw your son on TV. It brought tears to my eyes. What a blessing. Have you spoken to him since?

#91949 - 10/22/06 10:02 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines
Dee Offline

Yeah, we talk all the time. He's back in the states and is station in Kansas. I'm so proud of him. He's the first person who will tell you that he'd be more than happy to step up and defend this country...and he has. He would give his life and never, ever have regrets about it. I'm always telling him that when I grow up I want to be just like him. He asked me to include this website that shows what he does.
http://dosomethingamazing.com/
If you click on inflight refueling you'll see what he does that I'm so proud of him for. Pretty amazing stuff. All our men and women in uniform deserve our support and prayers. Thanks Dotie for your sweet words...he's pretty awesome to me.

#91950 - 10/22/06 11:05 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I've said it before and will say it again and proudly wear my T-shirt with this saying:

HOME OF THE FREE....BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved