The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88019 - 09/11/06 01:16 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?"
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I just bought red tissue paper at the Dollarama.

I have to start early, because besides Christmas, we have three major birthdays right before and after Christmas and another major one mid-January (when the shelves are still bare!)

Hubby's is the 23rd, and I always try to get him summery stuff for his birthday and winter stuff for Christmas. So I have to always remember to go out and buy summer clothes/paraphenalia (eg, BBQ & garden gadgets) for his December birthday before the clothes all disappear at the end of July.

What to get people who have everything? We've never done this, but my niece (who is definitely not one of those people who have everything - in fact, quite the opposite!) has actually hinted that she'd love it if we did - it's adopting an animal (like a polar bear or panda bear) that's on the near-extinction list. I haven't looked into it, and don't know how it works, or how bona-fide it is, but my niece is 17 and has a very social-conscious heart and loves the idea of it. She's the one who is planning to go to China and Africa after she graduates in June to do some missionary work through her church. She buys all of her gifts at places where the money goes to charities.

Or you can always go for something like a stainless steel toothpick dispenser - we saw one several months ago and have often wished we had picked it up. It seemed so decadent at the time, but we've since realized how useful it would be. But of course, I can't find it now!

Edited by Eagle Heart (09/11/06 01:19 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#88020 - 09/11/06 07:27 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?"
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Dotsie: A good bottle of wine?

#88021 - 09/11/06 07:41 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?"
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Quote:

What do you buy the man/woman who has everything?

Pecan or chile pepper soap from NM!! (tee hee hee!!)

#88022 - 09/11/06 11:33 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?"
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
JJ,
Just so you know...I don't have my eye on that half eaten bone of Trixie's...probably couldn't get it away from anyway.

I haven't shopped yet. I don't buy as many gifts as I used to, I give gift certificates and money to the kids. But now that there's a wee on in the family that will probably change all of that...who couldn't buy gifts for her?!

#88023 - 09/12/06 08:31 AM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

What to get people who have everything? We've never done this, but my niece (who is definitely not one of those people who have everything - in fact, quite the opposite!) has actually hinted that she'd love it if we did - it's adopting an animal (like a polar bear or panda bear) that's on the near-extinction list.

I used to buy candy or food packs for my clients, but they get so much of that stuff that now I donate to a charity and send a card that tells what I did in their name. There are many out there, and you are wise to check them out first. Great idea though!

#88024 - 09/12/06 09:36 AM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yes, we have an Alternative Gift Market at our church with lots of options. You can buy gifts of various price points. Some are for local shelters, others are for more global causes. That's a great way to go if you don't want to clutter up someone's home.

Something we've done for elderly family members is to give them tickets to a show. That has been a hit.

And I know it sounds hokey, but I still like the idea of homemade gift certificates.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved