The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83377 - 07/22/06 12:59 AM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: CC52]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Hey, we use to GO to Palisades Park....

If you brought your end-of-year report card, they'd count up all the E's you got (no A's in Jersey City) and you'd get that many free rides.

WEll, with the four of us, we always got all E's so Mom had her kids ride all day for free plus...
They gave you free bagsful of groceries. That is where we learned about Aunt Millie's spaghetti sauce.

Now ya'll are takin' me WAY BACK!!

#83378 - 07/22/06 01:31 AM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: CC52]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
OMG...How could I forget Runaround Sue? Oh I LOVE that song. Your girls are great at this. I should have cheated...teehee...Three Dog Night. How in the world could I forget One Is The loneliness Number?

I DID notice there were no Elvis songs on the list...hm?

JJ

#83379 - 07/22/06 03:31 AM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Palasades Park was not his only song. He actually had several hits. He was from Revere, MA, which is 5 minutes away from here. One of my friends in junior high was a cousin of his and I went "steady" with another one of his cousins for a while. I met Freddie Cannon one day when he was visiting my girlfriend. Her mother said she could have two of her friends over to meet him. I'll never forget that. We were so star struck, sitting there in the parlor talking with him. He smoked one cigarette after another. When he left, I took a few butts out of the ashtray to save forever. My mother found them in my jewelry box and threw them out because she thought I had been smoking. I was devasted when I found out she had thrown them away. Knowing me, I'd probably still have them.

I saw the Supreme's once in the 60's. It must have been when I got out of high school because it was in a nightclub. We went to Blindstrub's in Boston to see them.

Louisa

#83380 - 07/22/06 09:50 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: CC52]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Like I said before you can't find music like we had in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I still dance my derierre off to these songs especially when doing housework...Oh and is there anyone out thyere that didn't rub bellies with a boy dancing to THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS music???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83381 - 07/23/06 12:42 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, you saw the Supremes? That is awesome. My sisters and I loved them. We would stand in a line with pretend microphones in our hands and do all the same motions while belting out their songs.

That reminds me. I saw the Spinners and they were out of this world. I loved Motown!

#83382 - 07/23/06 03:33 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I saw Tina Turner (one of my idols!) when she came to Huntsville, AL in 1973. (I think). She was with Ike then. She was out of this world. I admire that woman so much!

And of course I saw Elvis three times. Make that four. I'm pretty sure I saw him at Chucky Cheese last week waiting tables.

Chatty.......LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the Righteous Brothers. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MY LOVEEEEEE, My darrrrrrling...I hungerrrrr for yoyyyyyyaaaaa touchhhhhh....what? What can I tell ya, I get into it. We really need to have a pajama party.

JJ

#83383 - 07/23/06 10:59 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh wow JJ, I would travel all the way there just for that. I still get steamy when I hear the Righteous Brothers, yes I do. How can anyone help but be carried away???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83384 - 07/25/06 05:51 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: chatty lady]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
I can remember having a transistor radio in the window at night, with the antenna up and trying my best to get the tunes in - anyone remember Jerry Blavat (the Geator with the Heater, the Boss with the Hot Sauce, bringin' you the sounds from Philly Town high atop the Geator's nest in Camden, NJ!!)! Mowtown, Jersey sounds, all the stuff we wove dreams with in our teens. Now, when you hear those tunes you just can't help but shimmy a bit, and the mic is in your hand in your imagination, and you will hum the tune at best while the words are mouthed silently with a smile.

#83385 - 07/25/06 08:09 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun [Re: judym]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
judy, I remember those transistor radios. I thought I was so cool when I got a cream colored, sorta plastic coated one for confirmation.

#83386 - 07/25/06 08:36 PM Re: Fun Fun Fun
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Oh LOL there - I got mine with babysitting money around that same age. For Confirmation, I got a missal and a rosary! Plus some sage advice about keeping being a good girl! A special cake, and too many nerves for the day to enjoy the celebration after. That music I listened to in the stealth of the night was something that was sure to lead to my downfall...I loved it so. Did you use your earpiece with yours? Great to keep it secret! Especially when you could get the "skip" from Cincinnati or places so far away you couldn't imagine them...Reading Tiger Beat and that magazine (I can't remember the name of it) that had the lyrics of all the latest songs...saving lunch money to buy them. TV might have been the almighty eye in the households of then, but we really didn't watch that much tv - the radio was the venue then for kids my age.It was something you felt was your own, your connection to the big wide world. I even remember the musty smell of the window sill when I'd prop my radio there in the screen! My brother owns the family home there now, and his daughters are in our old rooms, but when I do go there I always have to pause and reflect. I'm sure the 7 yr old in my old bedroom thinks I'm totally bonkers when I run my hand on that old sill and remember...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved