Diamond,
That is actually not true. Often this misconception causes women to buy a suit that is completely the wrong size. If you buy your swimsuit too big you will not be realizing the benefits of the bra construction or the control elements of the fabric. What causes this myth to continue is that often swimsuits are too short in the torso causing women to think they are too small. Note that you do not have to be tall to be longer than the standard swimsuit torso length. I have had many long torso customers that were 5'0. The other factor that impacts what size swimsuit you buy is your bust size.

You should be at your pants size in a swimsuit, you may size up or down slightly between swimwear designers. Swimsuits should fit tight at the elastic (leglines, bust) but should not dig into your shoulder or pull your bust down. If you find that you often buy swimsuits much larger than your pants size try a long torso line like Longitude or Take Control. You can also try tankini styles that will offer you more flexibility in length. If you feel that your bust size is causing you to size up look for cup sized swimwear like Coco Reef Separates, Jag Separates, Miraclesuit Separates, Sunsets Separates, or Anne Cole Locker Separates.

Remember that each swimsuit is not created equal. If you are a D-cup long torso trying on a line that runs small in the bust and short in the torso no amount of sizing up is going to make that suit work as well on you as a line that is intended for your body type. Whenever possible shop in a specialty environment where the associates know their product. Feel free to send any specific questions and I can recommend designer lines that will best fit your needs.

~Bridget

quote:
Originally posted by diamond50:
Someone told me that swimsuits should always be
bought two sizes larger than your usual size.
How true is that?