The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69116 - 05/06/06 02:11 AM Re: Finally!!!
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
I started by saying "kennel", gently ushering my puppy lab into his kennel home and always giving him a small treat. Now we say kennel or just open the door and he comes running into it. He learned so fast with so few messes, do look up this technique, you will be glad you did. Don't feel sorry for them while they are in there, they do feel its their safe place and like being there when you can't watch them, or even when they want to rest.

#69117 - 05/06/06 03:25 AM Re: Finally!!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My son even crates his Mastiff (huge crate.) He had a smaller one until about a year then needed a larger one. Don't make the mistake made by most folks until they learn, NO food or toys in the crate, they'll make such a mess and WILL potty after eating. Feed, water and walk them awhile before your leaving and crating them. They will just sleep while in their safe crate. But as soon as you get home, walk the dog...

[ May 05, 2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#69118 - 05/07/06 01:24 AM Re: Finally!!!
bassett Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Let me know how you do with crate training, Jackie...Since I last visited we put down Buck the basset and now have Clifford II, the 10-mo. old basset hound! He's absolutely precious, and just loves our home, but in regards to house training, we're still struggling...His previous mom had him in a crate and we feel horrible putting him in there, soooo everyday is a new CHALLENGE!

Marsha
Bassett Hound Mom

#69119 - 05/07/06 02:09 AM Re: Finally!!!
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Sorry to hear about Buck, bassett.
I don't know that I need to do crate training as it seems there is almost always someone home at my house!
Do you suppose it would be just as good to keep a puppy in the bathroom for a few hours at a time? If I put her bed in there and her water and some newspaper down? She's very good about using the paper.

#69120 - 05/07/06 02:29 AM Re: Finally!!!
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Bluebird,

You will be VERY glad you taught your puppy to love his "little home" (crate). It gives him (and you) a safe place to be.

Locking a dog in a room can prove disasterous -- he could scratch and destroy things!

d.

#69121 - 05/07/06 03:08 AM Re: Finally!!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Bluebird, We all do what we think is right for our circumstances. I have never crated most of my own dogs, heck they sleep with me. I do however put a gate up to keep them in the bigger bathroom if I am going to be gone a long while. There are no cords in there, nothing in the cabinets except towels and wash clothes, the toilet paper roll is removed.. They are little so I don't remove the soap from the sink, they can't possibly reach it anyway. Most people do crate their animals if going to be gone and I will crate a foster away from my own dogs to be on the safe side and make sure there is no fighting. If Aspen does well on her paper and there is usually someone around then play it by ear...Where does she sleep at night? A crate can be good for that but in my home all my dogs have always picked a bed and person to snuggle with, what is one to do??? They are just like children after all.

#69122 - 05/07/06 03:34 AM Re: Finally!!!
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
She has her own bed. I do not want to let her on the beds or couches.
I can't believe how attached she is to me already!! It's so sweet.

#69123 - 05/07/06 04:50 AM Re: Finally!!!
downdog Offline

I ditto Danita, it's a good thing for him to learn even if you are always around to watch him (which is very hard to do) It keeps him out of trouble AND out of the dog house so to speak. It's very easy to get upset at your puppy when you come home, and look up to see coffee tables, curtains, woodwork destroyed. And retrievers can and will do this, especially if kept in a small room like the bathroom. They are very social animals and would probably be happier resting in their crate with it in an area with the rest of the family. Good luck Bluebird. They bring great joy and fun!

#69124 - 05/07/06 05:31 AM Re: Finally!!!
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Even though I crate Daisy when I'm away, she does still sleep with me - and she's about 78 lbs! Her litter was kept in a huge crate in the breeder's bedroom and I believe that's why it was so natural for her to be in a crate. Yesterday I left her out for about 3 hours and when I came home she had chewed a shoe and dumped out a couple of flowers I hadn't planted yet! I guess she got bored and wanted some fun!

I want Daisy to be comfortable in a crate because I never know when I may have to kennel her or she may have to be in a crate in an animal hospital at some point in her life.

If you get a crate and put a blanket over it, put some blankets and/or pillows in it, it will feel like a warm, safe haven, somewhat like a wolf den.

Daisygirl

#69125 - 05/07/06 06:49 AM Re: Finally!!!
downdog Offline

Oh most definitely, let the dog sleep with you! They are so soft and warm and cuddly. My husband and I fight over who gets to cuddle with him at night! (Mines a 65 lb labrador).

Good point on the crate, it would be alot less scary for them to be crated in a hospital or kennel situation if they were already used to it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved