The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#65308 - 06/21/05 06:53 PM Re: Cashiering
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Hi,
I'm new here but your topic brought back some problems my son had in Math classes. He was getting good grades. We moved from Illinois to Florida after his 5th grade. He did the math in 6th grade and promptly failed assignment after assignment. I went to the school and the teacher said he was getting the right answer but doing it the wrong way. Now, I thought and still think Math is Math. There is only one way to do it. Right? Not so. He had to learn to do it the way the book showed. The teacher couldn't help him unless he did it that way. Great teacher.

#65309 - 06/21/05 08:42 PM Re: Cashiering
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I once worked for the big "K" and I have to say it was the worst experience of my life, I quit after 2 weeks!

Sandpiper, I always thought Math was Math too!

#65310 - 06/21/05 10:38 PM Re: Cashiering
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hey, TVC15, me too! I worked for K-mart and it was a joke. They make you come in early and stay late and don't pay you for it. Hello? Can anyone say "against the law?" Course that was before I knew better. One of the worst jobs I ever had. Well, that and being a police dispatcher...hey, how was I to know it was the fire department's number? Who knew?

JJ

#65311 - 06/22/05 03:34 AM Re: Cashiering
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I remember when I worked as a cashier at the Army Post in Germany. I was a senior in High School, and I worked in Toyland part-time. We had two of the electronic kind that we still had to punch in the numbers with. The third one was a manual one. When we had our 10% off sales, I ended up with the manual one and had to figure out the discount price myself before I punched in the numbers. BTW, I was real fast too.

When my daughter was in the 2nd grade I tried to help her with subtraction. She kept getting frustrated with me because I was using the method I was taught, and it wasn't the one that she was taught. What they were teaching her was far too complicated for me, and made absolutely no sense at all.

Cheers,
Cathi

#65312 - 06/22/05 03:53 AM Re: Cashiering
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
One thing every child should be taught is how to save and to handle money. We all need a checking account and no one teaches children how to use one. I made my sons learn and they had one since age 13 with me on too because they were too young but they both knew how to handle money, cash and checks. Whats with all this new and complicated math??? Doesn't 2+2 still equal 4? Why make simple math as hard as geometry? Thats ridiculous... [Frown]

#65313 - 07/15/05 03:23 AM Re: Cashiering
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
When I had my first job in a "drug store" (before they called them pharmacies!!!)...we weren't allowed to key in what money the customer gave us. We had to key in the total sale and figure it out on our own!!! He refused to allow anyone do that--so we could all learn how to count money & not have anyone fast change you.

Recently I changed my stand on self serve registers at stores....but I've started using them!!! I can't tell you how many times I could have gone around & rung up the entire line faster or do it correctly!!! [Razz]

I do refuse to use the self serve at Home Depot!!
LIKE I KNOW WHAT I'M BUYING TO BEGIN WITH! [Smile]

#65314 - 07/15/05 06:35 AM Re: Cashiering
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I worked at CVS when my kids were little. The trouble now is that they don't know how to make change because the register does it. If the power goes out and they have to figure it out, forget it.
Louisa

#65315 - 07/15/05 07:48 AM Re: Cashiering
Nikki Offline

Loc: NE Arkansas
Hey JJ darlin? Wanna be my manager? Want me to be YOUR manager? Either way we can't lose. Things will work out just as always. I'll be praying for you.

[ July 15, 2005, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Stewart ]

#65316 - 07/15/05 08:49 PM Re: Cashiering
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ahhhh...manager of what?

JJ

#65317 - 07/16/05 04:27 AM Re: Cashiering
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Last night I drove through the drive-up window at Jack-In-the-Box with a friend. First the girl asked for the wrong amount of money, then when handing my friend the change dropped it onto the ground and said, oops sorry! My friend said sternly "now give me my change please." She did then closed the window. We just sat there, she opened the window again and said "is there something els maam?" My friend said "Yea my food!" Lordy, talk about dumb. Oh and so you know, her change was .99 cents, she didn't have a penny so had to break a dollar....geesh [Mad]

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved