The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#60081 - 02/13/05 11:25 PM Re: What's in a name?
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
when I started writing seriously I started thinking of the meaning of my character names in accordence what they were doing in a story. Then I got to looking at my name my dad named me , I'd like to know why he chose Debra then I looked at what I went through in my life. It kinda fits with what I have done in my life so far,

According to the names origin that I have dug up so far, It's of Hebrew , busy bee was a nurse to Rebecca (who was my best friend in third grade) was a heroine and prophess.

Now to figure out what to do with the other half of my life that goes with my name ... as for the nurse asspect, Ive been a hospital volunteer in two hospitals , and a hospice volunteer wonder if that could fit?

And as for hating being called Debra, I did , until recently when I realized my dad may have had a reaS

#60082 - 02/13/05 11:50 PM Re: What's in a name?
Debi Offline

Loc: Kansas City Kansas
To follow up on the last post so no body fears they are "missing something" As for hating to be called Debra, I did until recently (dont know what changed) Then I learned my dad may have named me that for a reason. Now to discover that reason, but it does , make sense with the things I have done in my past , now to figure out how to use it in the future , to maybe create a heroine that coincides with my name ,

Deb [Smile]

#60083 - 02/14/05 11:52 AM Re: What's in a name?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Same problem here. My name is Elizabeth Dian and hardly ever does anyone get it write. I get Dion, Dianne, Diane, Diana, Dean . . .goes on and on. Especially since it's my middle name, thus the E. Dian.

Now, I always wanted to be Rebecca, because (no kidding) I lived on Sunnybrooke Farm in Mannington, WV until I was 11.

Mom confessed later on that she wanted to name me, for real, Phoebe Moonbeam, just to spite everyone. I am SO glad she did not.

Her name was Danielle, and my Grandmother didn't know how it was pronounced - it was supposed to say Danna Lee??? But Mom went by Dani her whole life.

I remember being so excited when I saw one of the models on "The Price is Right" named Dian; then later on, Dian Fossey (sp?).

#60084 - 02/15/05 06:06 AM Re: What's in a name?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Almost no one my age is Meredith, so I grew up not knowing another Meredith until I went away to college. Now, it seems to be semi-popular for the younger set, but it still surprises me to hear "Meredith" in a grocery store, etc.

My parents were originally going to name me Michelle after my grandfather Michael, but another girl down the block was born a few weeks before me and named Michelle, so my mother decided to choose a name that no one else would have. Of course starting with "M". My middle name Karen was chosen "because" no particular reason.

#60085 - 02/15/05 11:42 AM Re: What's in a name?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
My legal name is Catherine, but of course everyone calls me Cathi. Growing up my name was spelled Cathy, and my maiden name was Overcast(for real). In my youth when I wanted to pursue acting and did theatre, I wanted my name to stand out some more, so I changed the spelling to Cathi.

Even before that, everytime I tell someone my name and they write it down, they always assume it starts with a K.

My daughter's name is Sofia (the Greek way), but of course we have to have that corrected because so many times it is written Sophia.

BTW, in the Greek tradition we name our children after our parents. So, originally my mom and her family wanted to name me after my dad's mom. My dad (not Greek) said no way, his mom's name was Hazel. Even my Grandmother said "Thank the Lord they didn't name you Hazel."

Of course, growing up I was thankful that they didn't name me Hazel, but now I think it is a pretty name. Interesting how our perspectives change about names.

I remember when I was a little girl, my favorite name was and is still Deborah.

Cathi

#60086 - 02/27/05 12:20 AM Re: What's in a name?
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
I have never (as yet) met anyone with my same name. When I was growing up, I hated that! However, now that I am older and wiser I kinda enjoy being unique. My name is Laylee Ann. I am named after my Great Aunt Beulah Lee and my Grandmother Ann. How did you get Laylee outta Beulah Lee? Well let me tell you, cuz it's a wonderful family story. My Great Aunt Beulah Lee was the youngest of eight. They began calling her Baby Lee soon after she was born and continued to do so for several years. One day, when she was about 5 or 6 years old, her Daddy called her name and she whirled around and told him "Don't call me that ANYMORE! I am not a Baby!" He smiled and asked, "Well, if you aren't my Baby then what are you?" She indiginantly replied, "I'm a LADY!" From that day forward she was known as Lady Lee. She was my mom's favorite aunt so she named me Laylee as a derivative of her name. It is pronounced just like it is spelled (rhymes with Hailey or Bailey) I have been called all sorts of things! It is irritating at times, because of course I had the rotten luck of falling in love with someone who had a weird last name! LOL Not that my maiden name was a piece of cake either. No matter what, I was in for lots of explaining where my name was concerned.

#60087 - 02/27/05 12:38 AM Re: What's in a name?
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
Just had to share this essay, too. I wrote this for our Storycircle Journal a couple of years ago:

The Trouble with Taxi’s

I went through my whole school career as the “girl with three first names.” My name was Laylee Ann Cathey (pronounced just like Kathy.) It was very confusing for most of my teachers and classmates, alike. I also lived with my Granny, which in those days was rather unusual. Granny was quite over-protective. One day, when I was in first grade it began to rain during the school day. My grandfather had the car and Granny was afraid I might get wet on the way home. Perhaps she thought I might melt! She called the school and told them that she was sending a Yellow Taxi to pick me up. She very carefully told them…”Now, that’s Laylee Ann Cathey and it’s Mrs. White’s room.” “You be sure to get that right.” Well, I can remember it just like it was yesterday. There I was sitting right next to my little friend Kathy. The principal poked his head in the door and said, “Grandma called and a taxi will be here after school to pick up Laylee and Kathy.” The teacher nodded her understanding. Wow, Kathy and I looked at each other, neat! We get to go home all by ourselves in a big yellow taxi. When the final bell rang, we headed down the hall arm-in-arm. Sure enough, there was the big old, humpy yellow taxi. I looked at Kathy and said brightly, “you go ahead and take this one; I’ll get the next one!” Needless to say, poor Granny had the surprise of her life when that taxi arrived!

#60088 - 02/27/05 12:53 AM Re: What's in a name?
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
In the Southern tradition, I went by my first and middle names when I was in school. So I was called Dannye Sue. I went to a new school in the eighth grade, and my teacher, Mrs. Burns, refused to call me Dannye Sue because she said Dannye was a boy's name!!!! So every day she would call the roll and say, "Sue." I refused to answer. After about a month she gave it up and started calling me Dannye Sue.
That year I wrote an article for the school paper titled "My Name and I". At the time it felt like a tremendous victory. [Smile]

#60089 - 03/06/05 06:46 AM Re: What's in a name?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Charleen Catherine Radinsky Marencik Majewski Micheles Scott. WHEW! try that on for size. I think only Liz Taylor has more names than me..
My maiden name was Radinsky
Husband #1 Marencik (passed away)
Husband #2 Majewski (passed away)
Invented name for my record label..Micheles
Husband #3 Scott (divorced-wouldn't pass away)

To my friends I'm CHARLEEN MICHELES period!!!

#60090 - 03/06/05 07:20 PM Re: What's in a name?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
MrsMuzz...thats Readers Digest material. What a hoot!

JJ

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved