The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42300 - 04/28/06 08:27 PM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
In my own self-interest (:--)), I'll chime in that coaches also provide a different slant on the mentoring question. To learn more about coaching, go to the International Coach Federation web site: http://www.coachfederation.org/ICF/
[Wink]

#42301 - 04/30/06 07:33 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Aha, good point. Thanks for jumping in.

#42302 - 04/30/06 07:34 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Casey, are you a member?

#42303 - 04/30/06 01:09 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ever wonder if the mentors have a mentor and so on and so on? LOL

#42304 - 04/30/06 04:52 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Yes, I do wonder. What if the mentor you have is not a mentor at all?

#42305 - 04/30/06 05:34 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
"What if the mentor you have is not a mentor at all?"

Then *you* have made a very unwise choice.

Daisygirl - glad you've learned to knit; it's a skill that will last a lifetime and give aid and comfort to both maker and wearer. Now you should find a fiber festival to attend; that will enlarge your horizons tremendously! Go to my website and look for Fibr Festival Calendar.

A friend's daughter had a horse riding accident that has resulted in brain damage. Her brain was jostled loose from the cranium. The mother and daughter have asked me to be a friend/mentor,counselor to the daughter. This is an incredible responsibility and I don't feel worthy nor ready but there's no, for me anyway, way I could say no.

Sometimes God knows we're ready when we haven't a clue. Perhaps it's then He can use us most and best.

As to coaching and mentoring organizations, that works really well in higher density populations or in areas with disposable incomes. In the economically depressed area in which I live, it doesn't work.

Abraham Maslow, in his Hierarchy of Needs, stated food, shelter and clothing are needs; all else are wants. In Appalachian, at least in this region of Appalachia, people are consumed with obtaining basic needs.

#42306 - 04/30/06 05:36 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring

"Then "you" have made a very unwise choice."

The "you" is meant to be inclusive and not specific; I shouldn't have used * * but rather " " .

My apologies for not being clear.

#42307 - 04/30/06 05:48 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Thistle- you have what it takes already on your side to be a mentor to this child..GOD. I applaud you for having the courage to accept the responsibility.

When I made the comment "what if the mentor you have is not a mentor at all?" I dissagree that it means "you" have made a very unwise choice.Some mentors do not have formal training but with God ALL things are possible. A mentor can be anyone that God uses to fulfill a purpose.

#42308 - 04/30/06 05:59 AM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring

Oh, okay, almostangel. I totally misunderstood and thanks for the correction.

Yep, you're right. The girl and I both have God on our side.

#42309 - 04/30/06 11:18 PM Re: The Purpose of Mentoring
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thistle, I couldn't find fibr festival when I searched your blog. I love your site. I would love to attend a fibre festival. I also cannot resist finding a yarn shop wherever I travel to. I went to one close to Grand Rapids, MI last Thursday, but didn't have enough time and/or money to truly enjoy it. Knitting has proved to be a very expensive hobby for me. When I find a beautiful yarn in an exquisite color I just have to have it. I'm already a yarn snob and wouldn't waste my time knitting a low quality, generic yarn.

Where could I find the yarn you make? Do you sell it yourself or do you wholesale it to a retail store?

Daisygirl

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved