The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34681 - 03/19/05 04:38 AM Re: meal planning
CompuNerdie Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I feel you on the chicken, Unique. I feel like I eat it everyday, lol.

#34682 - 03/31/05 07:18 PM Re: meal planning
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am going to the food store during lunch today in search of Bertolli's frozen foods. I'll let you know what I find.

unique, I could probably give you the first hundred recipes for your book. WE eat tons of boneless chicken breast. I'm defrosting some now!

[ March 31, 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#34683 - 01/29/07 07:41 PM Re: meal planning
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
If you like to cook, freezer meals are great for meals when you don't feel like cooking, or don't have time to make something good. When I make meals for example like----lasagna, chicken pot pie, ziti, spaghetti sauce, pizza, soups, breads, etc., I make single servings to put in the freezer. Then on those days when I'm running late or just don't feel like cooking, I have some yummy meals already made in the freezer. Depending on the meal type, you can pop it in the oven, or nuke it in the microwave and then you have a nutritious & delicious meal.

#34684 - 02/01/07 04:20 PM Re: meal planning
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Sometime when your not hungry, sit down and make a list of main dishes you like. I keep a list in a kitchen drawer and when I'm at a loss for ideas I pull out my list. You can make a seperate list for side dishes too.

I buy hamburger meat in the family size package and cook the whole thing up and drain it. I divide it into pint size freezer bags and keep in my deep freezer. Many casseroles call for cooked and drained hamburger meat so I'm half way there. These defrost in the microwave in two minutes while your boiling your pasta or rice.

I buy the rice a roni or pasta mixes and add hamburger or chicken to them for a main meal.

I love the canned chicken breast from Sams. Just drain and add to whatever your cooking.

Laurel

#34685 - 02/02/07 03:16 AM Re: meal planning [Re: CompuNerdie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I only bake meat dishes...um maybe 2-3 times --annually.

REst of the time I deal with meat (1-2 times per wk. we eat meat) in other ways. For chicken breast I would:

stir fry
or cook it in rice itself: cut chicken up into small pieces, marinate in a bit of soy sauce, oil for 1/2 hr. or less. Then if you are using an electric rice cooker for cooking rice, when rice starts to boil, you throw in meat. Bury it in the rice and let it cook within the rice. Yes, no babysitting the cooking meat or nothing.

It's a home style Chinese cooking method of sliced beef or chicken.

I also steam chicken meat, another home style Chinese cooking method where the meat has a tiny bit of soy sauce and oil. And little enamel or dish that is placed in 1 inch of water or so. Steam cooks the meat.

I thank my ...mother from teaching us decades ago. Some of these dishes are actually comfort food to me.

THese are hassle-free methods. THey had to be....she raised 6 children.

#34686 - 02/03/07 05:58 AM Re: meal planning [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
This is my husband's all time favorite baked chicken recipe..and the chicken comes out tender and juicy. And IT'S Quick to make!! The good thing is a good sized roasting chicken (6 pounds) goes a long way and is inexpensive. Tasty stuff:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch fresh rosemary
1 6-pound roasting chicken
salt and pepper to taste
4 large bulbs garlic, cut in half on the equator

Preheat over to 450 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil to about 325 degrees. Add rosemary sprigs and cook till crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain rosemary on paper towels. Let oil cool.

Remove giblets (if any) and wash and dry chicken. Salt and pepper cavity and skin. Stick a few sprigs of rosemary in the cavity. Truss (or not) and place chicken in an overproof skillet (do not cover). Place on lower rack with legs toward back of oven. Cook 20 minutes. Turn heat to 350.
Rub garlic with remaining rosemary oil. Add to roasting skillet and cook until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove garlic and keep warm while continuing to cook chicken, about 40 minutes more or until an instant meat themometer inserted in thigh reads 160 degrees, or until juices run clear. Remove from oven. Pour pan juices into a fat separator or glass measruing cup while chicken rests. Skim off fat that rises to the top.

Carve chicken and put on platter. Spoon juices over the chicken. Arrange garlic heads around the chicken. Garnish with remaining rosemary sprigs.

DEELISHIOUS!!!!! I serve this with mashed potatoes, peas or seasoned green beans, dinner rolls and a salad. Mighty good eatun'.

Edited by Dee (02/03/07 06:07 AM)

#34687 - 02/03/07 06:02 AM Our other favorite [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Caramelized Onion Chicken

Sauteed green beans makes a great side dish for this sweet, spicy chicken.

1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam (must be seedless)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodier soy sauce
1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add chicken to pan; saute 8 minutes or until chidken is done. remove onion and chicken from pan.

Add Jam and remaining ingredients to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return chicken m ixture to pan; cook 4 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounches chicken and 1 tablespoon sauce) (I hog the sauce cuz it's so darn good).

Enjoy...

#34688 - 02/04/07 03:55 PM Re: Our other favorite [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hey Dee we have a wonderful Favorite Recipe section you need to put these in, I almost missed them.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#34689 - 02/04/07 05:13 PM Don't like it...Re: meal planning [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dotsie,
I'm with you. I hate meal planning but I don't like to cook, either. My husband's finicky. Hamburger, hot dogs,
beef, pork chops, chicken, ham: that's it. NO veal. No lamb. NO liver. He doesn't like onions or sauerkraut. Veggies are corn, peas, baked beans. The same ole, same ole gets to be a bummer real fast. And we live out in the country. So delivery is NOT that plentiful.
Oh well, that's life!

#34690 - 02/04/07 09:54 PM Don't like it...Re: meal planning [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
bonnie, what would you make if you were cooking for your self? Do you eat seafood?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved