I sold things like yarn and patterns -- knitting needles here and there -- so I didn't have to worry about breakables.

If you pack them well you shouldnt have any problem -- but you can stipulate that if they dont insure you wont guarantee -- or -- if they have problems -- ship back the broken pieces for a full refund (minus the shipping costs) -- or -- whatever you feel you can live with and is fair

My mom and I had 3 full service yarn shops at one time so we were pretty organized as far as having an inventory program -- but when I did this from home -- I used one of those 6 column ledgers that you can buy for a couple of bucks at almost any place that sells stationary (office depot, wal mart, even eckerds usually have them). I put the customer name, address, email, phone, etc on top,and then in the columns I put the item sold, day of the sale, price paid, what it cost me to list it (so I knew what my profit was), when I was paid (and how - paypal, cash, check) and when I shipped it. I clipped the post office receipt to it to prove I shipped it. This way if there was any question -- I had the info. I did have a few items lost in the mail and I replaced them (they were patterns so I had more than 1 copy) because it made for good business.

Another tip -- give actually shipping costs up front. Alot of times people are looking/bidding on items where the auction is up in just a few minutes or hours and there isn't time to email you and see how much it will cost to ship, so they wont take the chance that after they win the bid and are responsible for purchasing it that you add a $20 shipping charge for something that cost you 60 cents to send. They'll just overlook your item and go on to a similar one that gives them more information. You can weigh it for an approximate weight -- go to the USPS website for the exact shipping costs (or UPS - but I found the USPS was the best way to send MY items) and then take that cost plus the cost to list your item (usually only pennies to a few dollars dependng on the cost of the item) to the shipping costs and then you've covered your expenses.

The best rule of thumb I can offer is -- Treat your customer they way you would expect to be treated and you'll do just fine [Smile]

Carolyn