The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#33690 - 09/30/05 12:54 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have found a strong connection between Fibromyalgia and abuse (current or in the past). It's alwasy concerned me. My daughter has it and sometimes cries from just rolling over in bed. The dr. gave her antidepressants until she started feeling better. She has bouts of it.

#33691 - 09/30/05 01:45 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
You might just have something with the abuse connection.
Hubby's uncle was abused as a child, or so I understand from his wife.

Brenda

[ September 29, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Brenda ]

#33692 - 09/30/05 06:09 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
run800mgirl, sorry to hear you have fibromyalgia. I got ill 8 years ago this December. It took 6 mo. but it was decided that I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. They often go together, but not always. I spent 3 years in bed, slept 26hrs/day, seemed like it anyway. Gradually things got better over time. I also went from being on N side of home to a sunroom most of the day. Changed medicines alot. I also was dx with type 2 diabetes and hypothyroidism. Am on lots of meds. Been much better last 5 years, more better days than worse. Think Chronic Fatigue gone, now just Fibro. You name it I have tried it. I am a labor/delivery RN and massage therapist. Haven't worked since got sick. Initially was too sick to even fill out disability papers. Often times brought on by a stressor in your life, guess abuse could be that. Mine started with viral bronchitis of which I coughed for 6 mo from. Anyway, I'd be glad to speak with you. Dotsie can give you my email and phone#. Currently am feeling better but am also sleeping better. I went from sleeping all day to not sleeping much at all, usually awake every hour. If I can go for 4 hours straight then things are great. I never had problems sleeping before this. I worked 16 years of nights and sure that didn't help, tho I could sleep during the day without trouble. Now, I take my meds, try to get regular exercise (walk, bike and swim/warm water exercise). I know I'm better depending on the # of Motrin I take. I also try not to Overdue it. I am a type A personallity but I have learned to say NO to things/people. I have 3 children, a workaholic husband, 3 dogs(2 puppies), and my elderly mother to care for. My plate is full. Call me.

#33693 - 10/06/05 06:41 PM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
YOu never would have known she had fibromyalgia this weekend in New York. She was our navigator in the big city. She was awesome. Way to go swimbo!

#33694 - 10/07/05 07:31 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Wow, this topic of fibromyalgia keeps reappearing. Yes, it is a fact that fibromyalgia coincides with trauma. It can be a physical and/or emotional trauma, such as a car accident, anesthesia, or abuse. The arthritis foundation has a pamphlet that acknowledges this connection. However, not all fibro is trauma related, and not all trauma causes fibro. In my case, as we all know, I had a lifetime of abuse. Although I am recovered emotionally (as well as anyone can be) the body remembers. I think that the trauma is held within on a cellular level. I often wonder if I could think my way out of fibro. I used to do housecleaning and had no energy for enjoyment. I now do what I enjoy, and if/when I get to housecleaning, then good enough. (It helped to have a housekeeper/petsitter.) I also get massage as often as money allows. Some fibro patients hurt so much that any touch is painful, but I found that my muscles, which are always tensed, benefit from massage. My mind has learned to register that not all touch is bad touch, and my body has relaxed into the massage. (This took, oh, about 10 years of random massage!) I hurt in my elbows, hips, back of neck, lower spine, and knees. I do take perscription pain meds on a regular basis. I could not function without meds. Common complaint for fibro patients is interrupted sleep. Sometimes the pain is so bad you can't sleep. I no longer waste any time trying to sleep, I just take a pill. Otherwise I would be like swimbo awake every hour. Meds also help me sleep through my husband's snoring. I don't care any more about if I take too much. I need to live with sleep, without pain. I used to spend 60 days a year in bed with migraines and body pain while trying to hold a job. What I mean is that I had migraines for at least 3 solid days at least 2 times per month. Times 12 months and I was bedridden for two months out of the year. Going through menopause (thanks to chemo) has actually helped: no more menstrual migraines! Dianne, I am also on anti-depressants, which is commonly prescribed for fibro because 1) the more in pain you are the more depressed you get 2) the more depressed you get the more pain you have. At least there is a greater understanding that fibro exists, even if it can't be measured by a blood test. Love and Light, Lynn

#33695 - 10/07/05 07:49 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Just to be clear, fibro is not a mental illness, although brain fog can set in even on a clear day. Swimbo, it sounds like years as a night nurse was an occupational hazard. How did you do that? LLL

#33696 - 10/11/05 03:01 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Did I kill this thread with my aches and pains on fibro?

#33697 - 10/11/05 03:08 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Danita Offline

Lynn,

Is that you? How the heck are you these days? We've got to get together!!!!!

d.

#33698 - 10/11/05 05:23 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, Danita, it's me. I'm great. I am busy volunteering at various agencies dealing with sexual abuse and/or domestic violence. I would love to get together. Want to go shopping in Castle Rock or Aspen Grove? LLL

#33699 - 10/13/05 03:31 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Lynn, you might consider Qigong. It's energy healing and wonderful. My Qigong doctor is in China right now, learning more. It's absolutely amazing how it works.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved