The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#33700 - 10/16/05 08:11 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dianne, I stick to conventional medicine. I like it when there is a pill I can take. I wonder what happened to Run who started this thread? I am afraid I scared her away with my litany of symptoms. There I go again, making it all about me...LLL

#33701 - 10/17/05 07:10 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm becoming nervous about taking pills. I've had so many serious side affects from some of them!

#33702 - 10/17/05 03:59 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Something you gals might want to check into - have your doctor check your IGF-1 numbers (insulin growth factor). A significant percentage of fibromyalgia patients are showing abnormal pituitary gland function (I am). I was blessed to have an educated doctor - at my first appt., which was over 2 hours in length - he said, "Something else is going on with you, which is why your medications may not be helping you." He sent me to an endocronologist who ran some tests and verified it. My body was dying rapidly, only producing enough hormone to sustain the body of an 82-year-old woman. I was 41. If this had not been caught, I would have died within 10 years. So far I have been lucky that my body is agreeable to the injections (daily) and bring my numbers back up to those for my age.

A lot of confusion is around about fibromyalgia and adult growth hormone deficiency. AGHD is a serious condition that is getting shoved aside because of the cortisol/stress = fat craze. My condition is severe enough that my insurance actually covers the treatment - I'm one of two people in my area who qualify for treatment.

Anyway - the point was - if medications don't seem to provide relief, there might be a valid reason why.

Currently, I take a shot at bedtime of Humatrope, which stimulates my pituitary gland. I also have high blood pressure, low blood sugar, pre-diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, myofascial pain syndrome, tmj, fibromyalgia, high cholesterol and am getting ready for a hysterectomy in November.

When I first began taking the shots, I lost about 30 pounds, combined with eating right. I have since hit another stopping point and we are dealing with other problems.

The amount of meds I take would scare you. But without them, I can't get out of bed.

#33703 - 10/17/05 04:01 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
I forgot to add - trauma of any type, including abuse, surgery, stress can make fibromyalgia pop up and/or worsen. It also seems to run in families.

#33704 - 10/17/05 04:40 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, Dian, wow you are going through so much. I mentioned about the trauma. And it does seem to run in families. I also have TMJ disorder. I am so glad you had an educated doctor who has helped you to have a longer, better life. L

#33705 - 10/25/05 08:16 PM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
mammajude Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
I never knew this but people take antidepressants to help with the pain... a good friend of mine does and it WORKS!!!
Amazing...

#33706 - 10/26/05 03:36 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I've had very good results for my fibro/chronic fatigue with a nutritional product called Reliv. (No this is not a pitch!) I have been able to drop 2 RX's and feel better most of the time. A great side effect was my hot flashes and night sweats stopped. As it is a nutritional product there is no need for prescription and no harm done even if it doesn't work. If you want to try it, just go to the RELIV web site.

I am sure that my fm/cfs is a result of the trauma of losing our 13 yr. old daughter in a car accident 11 years ago. We have also had major business problems since then bringing another kind of stress level. I've had to hold myself together for my husband and 2 sons and my body has taken the brunt of it all.

Reliv was recommended by a friend and has been a lifesaver for me.

#33707 - 10/26/05 06:38 PM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
flipperjo, I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be absolutely horrible. I know the feeling of having to be the strong one for the rest of the family and you have such a heavy weight on your shoulders. Thank you for sharing about Reliv. I'm going to check it out right away.

#33708 - 10/26/05 09:29 PM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
travelchick Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
While reading this, I found myself thinking about a friend of mine who's wife has fibromyalgia and I think she's been getting some relief by visits with Chiropractor and massage therapist (also gets detox foot baths from the same massage therapist). Might be an alternative to the ineffective doctors with their drugs! I know I've gotten alot of relief from acid reflux by going to a chiropractor. But check around--not all chiropractors can help with all types of problems.

#33709 - 10/27/05 04:59 AM Re: anyone dealing with Fibromyalgia?
Princess Lenora Offline

Flipper, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your daughter. Mamma, I wonder about anti-depression for pain. There is a web site about this: www.depressionhurts.com. I know that constant pain may make anyone depressed, thus the need for anti-depressants.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved