The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#283 - 06/18/04 06:58 PM praying for the deceased?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have to ask what others think about praying for the deceased. This is something I continue to hear people talk about and I don't get it.

When Mom died many people told me they were praying for her. I think it's sweet but she's already in heaven.

Do you think people in heaven still need prayer?

#284 - 06/19/04 10:42 PM Re: praying for the deceased?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie,
I think a lot of people don't know what to say when our loved ones die. They come up with all kinds of interesting phrases and I think that's one of them. One of our close friends could only talk about my mothers red shoes at my fathers memorial. I thought it was strange then realized she had a hard time with this.
Some people too believe that some of them get stuck in between however if we know they've gone on to heaven that's what counts.
Maggie

#285 - 06/20/04 12:56 AM Re: praying for the deceased?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dots - I'm wondering how you view heaven? Does your church has specific teachings about it? I'm asking because the Baha'i concept is perhaps different. Baha'is always say prayers for the departed.

#286 - 06/20/04 02:51 AM Re: praying for the deceased?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
I think people in heaven are beyond our prayers, we should be praying for those of us still on earth. I like to think people in heaven are praying for us on earth.

Remember when David was fasting, wearing sackcloth and praying for his son to be healed? His son died whereupon David washed, dresed and ordered food to be eaten. His servants didn't understand why David didn't mourn. David said he had done what he could do while his son was alive, his son was now beyond earthly help and now it was time for the living to live.

I like his attitude.

#287 - 06/20/04 03:19 AM Re: praying for the deceased?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I have prayed for loved ones who have died. I'm not sure why or if it's scriptural. It just felt like the thing to do.
I'm sure they are in heaven and all that, but it comforted 'me' to appeal to God to be good to them. ??
smile

#288 - 06/20/04 09:23 PM Re: praying for the deceased?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My thoughts are similar to Thistle's. Once you're in heaven you are in paradise, everything is divinely perfect. It is a place of perfect peace and joyous celebration always.

Maggie, you could be right about people not knowing what to say. I think that could be part of it.

Smile, I was raised Catholic and we prayed for the departed regularly, but now that I have a better understanding of faith, grace, salvation, and heaven I don't think it's necessary.

I just thought of something, maybe it's for when we meet with God and He runs through our life with us. Still doesn't matter though because we're already there.

DJ, does that help? If ot, I'll give more details. What do you believe about heaven?

#289 - 06/20/04 10:24 PM Re: praying for the deceased?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I definitely believe that there's joy and celebration in the next world, but don't believe that we remain the same for all eternity as we are at the moment of death.

Baha'is believe that nothing that exists is at rest -- all things are in motion, either growing or declining -- and that in the next world, to cease to progress is the same as to decline.

From Baha'i teachings: "From the moment the soul leaves the body and arrives in the Heavenly World, its evolution is spiritual, and that evolution is: The approaching unto God."

So, we pray for the progress of souls who've gone to the next world.

#290 - 06/21/04 03:48 AM Re: praying for the deceased?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie, I have read about the Catholic prayers for the deceased and that is not the kind of prayers I say. I don't think I "need" to pray for them at all. I figure they are fine.

I just "want" to ask God to say hello or something. I want him to tell them I love them. I want to touch him and know that he is touching them.
It helps me to think I can still somehow contact them through God so I give him messages and I think I can feel them touching me in my prayers.

Nonsense probably, but somehow it makes me feel better. It is to benefit me, not them that I pray.
smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved