The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 101 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#216167 - 01/17/12 09:42 AM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Oh yeah.....Africans have cooked with it. One time a gentleman said he's taking shea butter capsules that are supposed to help with arthritis. I've not seen him again.....not sure how they did for him!

#216169 - 01/17/12 02:21 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I also do a simple pot roast, and I work. And I love to cook.

Like Anne, I get a 3ish pound boneless chuck or shoulder roast, rub with garlic, dip in flour, brown on all sides in olive oil (to seal in the juices), then put in a dutch oven (a cast iron pot with a lid) with a whole onion stuck with 3 cloves, 1-2 carrots sliced, 5-6 whole potatoes (I like the Yukon gold), 2 cups of boiling water and a bay leaf and bake at 320 for at least 3-4 hours. Or all day in a crock pot. Cooking long at low heat makes it fork tender. Actually, you could cut it with a spoon. My whole family goes nuts for this meal.

#216172 - 01/17/12 03:05 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: DJ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Sounds delicious, DJ! Thanks for sharing.

These kinds of dishes are not only delicious and relatively easy to make, they're healthy too!

And I can't believe the number of times I've had friends try to wrangle a dinner invitation out of me when they hear it is pot roast night! It's a simple dish that always brings raves from anyone I feed it to.

Oh, I do make a nice simple and tasty gravy from the pot juices, but even that isn't too unhealthy!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216173 - 01/17/12 04:07 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Update: I went to a butcher today and told him I'm clueless when it comes to purchasing the right roast. So, I now have a 3 1/2 lb brisket in my freezer...it cost $11...is that a good price?

He said to put in in a turkey oven bag on 350* for about 3 1/2 hrs. Says it'll be so tender.

I'll try it next week......yummers!

#216174 - 01/17/12 04:10 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
Boomer in Chief

I'd say that's a good cut for a roast and the price is fine. I haven't tried making a roast in one of those turkey bags, but based on his suggestion, I'm sure it will work great!

Where did you get the idea to do a beef roast in one of those turkey roasting bags? That's a new one for me - but I'm sure it will work.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216177 - 01/17/12 09:03 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

I remember my mother doing that many years ago....she used to do London Broil in them. The nice thing is, since I have a shrink wrap system in the soap shop, I can get two bags out of one. I can cut/seal it with the I-Bar!

The folks whose house we went for Christmas did their turkey in the bag....talk about GOOD!!!! Moist, tasty etc.

#216230 - 01/23/12 08:16 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I showed my newly married grandson how to use a cooking bag for his Christmas turkey and it was wonderful. Everyone complimented his cooking and he was thrilled. I use the bags for roasts of all kinds as well!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#216233 - 01/23/12 10:28 PM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: chatty lady]
Boomer in Chief

As far as I'm concerned, one of the biggest benefits of cooking in a bag is that the oven stays a lot cleaner. But while I have cooked turkeys in one of these bags, I have never tried them with any other cut of meat.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216235 - 01/24/12 09:37 AM Re: Correct meat for a roast? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Gotta try that Chatty!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved