The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#161160 - 09/27/08 03:06 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: meredithbead]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
I must be the oddest of ducks here but when I started not sleeping well--after being a world champion, fall asleep anywhere kind of girl--I started experimenting. Bio-Identical hormones helped masterfully. Then some life changes and it all went wacky so I added Melatonin--had to play with the doses but got it worked out.
When that wasn't working I added Theanine which is a natural component of tea and helps relax you. (My doc swears by this for night time anxiety. I even take it before Toastmasters if I'm feeling unsure of my presentation and it is calming)
I have tried the occasional sleeping pill but aside from the relief that I'm actually asleep I feel like I've been robbed of the night experience cause it's so black out like.
Best sleeping ever--really soundly and don't even wake up to pee--the glutathione supplement I"m taking. No kidding and I ran out last week before my next batch came and I was all over the bed trying to get to sleep.
They say I was a great baby in terms of sleep--it was when I was awake and the mouth engaged that was troublesome. Both my parents have been gone for so long I have no idea if I mimic either sleep wise.
Fun thread Dots,

#161444 - 09/30/08 09:34 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Dotsie]
latebloomrboomer Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
I rarely sleep through the night. I am always up to pee at least once.

I take melatonin at bedtime, along with calcium and magnesium, and black cohash.

I go to bed with a small refreezable ice pack wrapped in a towel under my neck. If I don't do this I am too hot to go to sleep--unless it is cool out. But, in Florida, this is rare!

Sometimes I take a half of a Unisom tab to sleep; sometimes I take a whole one. I have an Rx for generic Temazepam that I take sometimes.

I set an alarm during the work week, and get up and walk most days. I sleep later on the weekends. That would be about 8:00 AM--that is sleeping in! In this case, the sun wakes me, or the dog if she thinks it is too late!

#161546 - 10/02/08 02:33 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: latebloomrboomer]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mscoach, the end of your post made me laugh.

latebloomerboomer, good to see you.

This is interesting. Boy, there are lots of different pills and supplments available.

Hot baths before bedtime totally relax me. I feel like a dish rag. I'm sure I'm ruining my skin because the water is so hot, but I can't live without my baths. I occasionally use oils in the water, and always lotion up when I get out. If I become a prune, at least I'll be a relaxed prune.

#161566 - 10/02/08 03:40 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: Dotsie]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Well, at the week-end..when I am not working..I can sleep from let´s say 3am (I am a night owl at the week-ends) until 1pm the next day..and then I can take a nap a few hours later..let´s say about 3 or 4-ishpm..for about an hour and a half. Then I can sleep again for the night maybe around 2am or 3am. This is my week-end routine..not during the week when I work. I usually get about 6 or 7hrs during the working week. I do use a light sleeping pill..feels more safe that way.

At the week-ends I may set the alarm for 12pm or 11am..so I don´t end up sleeping too long and loosing the few hours of daylight that we have here in Sweden during the winter months. It gets dark again around 3pm then! crazy

#161569 - 10/02/08 03:49 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: humlan]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
OOpps.. can´t edit..but remembered that I do yoga to help me get a relaxed and good sleep. This I do almost every evening.

And I think my nightowl patterns are inherited from my father..he was even more of a night owl than I am..sitting up and listening to music while checking his stocks..he´d go to bed about 4am and get up at 8am to work during the week, Then at the week-ends, he´s sleep until 1 or 2 pm.

#161589 - 10/02/08 06:58 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: humlan]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You CAN edit NOW!

#161667 - 10/03/08 02:10 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I haven't slept good since high school. I take two Advil PM every night. Sometimes I pray myself to sleep. Usually, it takes me an hour to fall asleep. If hubby or the dog wake me up, it'll take another hour to get back to sleep. I sleep 6 or 7 hours in a row, occasionally. Generally, I get up once or twice overnight to use the bathroom. I've heard many women complain about the inability to sleep and believe it's quite a widespread problem. Men, on the other hand, fall asleep in a matter of minutes. Gosh, wouldn't that be nice.

#161719 - 10/04/08 01:21 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
jj,
Thanks 4 the "u can edit now" stuff! Good job!

#161758 - 10/04/08 07:15 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've already gone in another room to read in the middle of the night. That usually helps.

#162066 - 10/07/08 08:10 PM Re: Sleep - Baby Boomer Women [Re: ]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Sleep left me too with the onset of menopause and the departure of my spouse (to madness) and my son to Iraq. I drink Tension Tamer tea before bed now, lots of chamomile in it and tastes great and really soothes me. As for migraines, thank goodness I don't get them often anymore, but for the migraine sufferer, try a few drops of the essential oil of red thyme and a few drops of the essential oil of rosemary. I used to put some in boiling water and breath the steam or a few drops in a hot bath and breath deeply. But I've also tried a few drops of each on a piece of guaze inside my pillowcase. The aromatherapy lady at the health food store recommended those oils for migraines and they actually did give relief. You can get essential oils at health food stores I think.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved