The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14206 - 11/26/05 06:15 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, I can hear Mom saying the same dang thing.

I agree with Eagle. It's possible she doesn't know how to interact at parties without a drink in her hand.

This is one of the things I tell my kids about drinking. The drinking age is 21 for many reasons. One is so you can get to a certain age and have already dealt with hardships and celebrations without a drink. Bt the time you are 21 you have probably managed to survive life's ups and downs and know how to do so without some substance clouding your thinking. Some people never learn that because they begin drinking so soon. So sad.

#14207 - 11/26/05 08:47 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Dotsie, I never looked at it that way. It's true, though, especially these days, kids do go through alot before they turn 21.

#14208 - 11/27/05 04:23 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
ladybug Offline

The social pressure to appear "normal" at public gatherings sometimes centers around drinking for some folks.

I've gotten criticized by people who seem offended by the fact that I don't drink. Example of one person's response: "well, I'm not a Mormon!" Neither am I, I just don't care for the stuff. I see nothing wrong with a person who enjoys a glass of wine with their dinner or a cocktail at a social gathering. It's when some people over do it and get loud and offensive.

#14209 - 11/27/05 08:54 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
ladybug Offline

For anyone out there who is a Mormon I hope there was no offense taken because I personally think Mormons have some wonderful values.

#14210 - 11/27/05 11:47 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
More than Mormons don't think a party means slopping up liquor. I don't and I am not Mormon either, just sensible and like keeping my wits about me. Seen many drunks and none were a pretty site. I mean getting drunk here not just socialy drinking in moderation...

#14211 - 11/29/05 05:11 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
MyangelinheavenEVE Offline

Loc: Sweetwater,TN
I come from a semi Itilian family and I like the idea to have red wine with every supper. Just one small wine glass worth is ok for me. However, I am living with my father in law that think's drinking wine or beer is a sin. I can't even cook or bake with it LOL. So I talked to my husband about this and he said he will allow me to do this when we have our own place. However, I don't get drunk on it and I only buy what the recipe alots for. Anyways be careful of what you serve on the holidays for Alcholic beverages.

#14212 - 11/30/05 10:37 PM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Any alcohol you use in cooking from wine to rum or whiskey, will be completely burnt off by the heat before you eat the dish, so all you really get is the taste but no alcohol. Maybe your hubby doesn't realize that.

#14213 - 12/01/05 12:32 AM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
As a general rule, I don't serve alcohol to other folks. I prefer to keep it for myself. I've got one friend who will drink me out of a bottle and look for more. For him I serve something I know he won't fully tip the bottle. Actually, Dave is the one who got me started doing this. I used to serve really, really good alcohol. My thinking was, and is, I'm only going to have one, maybe two at the most, drinks and I want them to be very good drinks. Life is too short to drink bad wine or beer or Scotch. [Smile] ---now that I know how to make smiley faces, I'm gonna bore ya'll to absolute *tears*!

Unfortunately, there are folks who drink and drink and drink...never mind the taste nor the cost. For them I keep and serve cheap stuff. I don't want them leaving here drunk and with truly nasty alcohol they find it easier to leave sober.

#14214 - 12/01/05 03:24 AM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I like a good cocktail, one at the most. Two, I'm under the table, three I'm under the host.

#14215 - 12/01/05 04:36 AM Re: Serving alcohol at holiday meals
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ha ha ha, you should be writing...ah....never mind. I don't want to end up cleaning the moat this weekend. If she'd only let me clean the wine cellar...
chick

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved