The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 59 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#140243 - 01/31/08 01:46 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh Dancer, of course you should ask the question! Everyone here has different opinions and that's what makes this forum so interesting to me! You should feel comfortable asking whatever you want.

I look at the ladies you describe and admire them. They always look so put together and classy. Many times, I wish I could do what they do, however I never seem to have the money or the time to try to learn how to dress like that. I can't even accessorize! I throw on lipstick, mascara, blush and earrings, and I'm out the door. Many times I've said I need a personal shopper; wouldn't that be fun, to have someone "dress" you?

I do have money and time for other things, so I guess that means it's not truly important for me to dress like that. If it were, that's where I would be putting my energy.

I too have owned a business for many, many years. I've had my web design biz for 11 years, my RJ biz for two years, and during that time I also was Director of Operations at charter school for two years.

I think it has a lot to do with where/how you were raised. I was raised in a more rural setting, and wore hand-me-downs. It was great fun to get a big box of clothes from my cousins! If I had been raised in the city, or exposed more to city life and city styles, then I would probably be more interested in style.

While many of us may not be glamorous, that doesn't mean we don't like to read/hear about others who are. Keep the great questions coming!

Kathy

#140244 - 01/31/08 02:58 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Mountain Ash Offline

Like Kathy I grew up in a small place.Always had uniform and sunday clothes.Hand knitted sweaters.Then I learn to sew.My teacher(I have mention her in another post) taught me.I had an older cousin three years older and she came from Liverpool.She worked in a fabric shop so she too brought me up to speed.A shify made in an evening..gypsey skirts and black belts.
When teaching I made my self attractive for the children wearing street cred...whatever. but as I got older developed a distinct style which I feel comfortable and attractive in.
MA

#140245 - 01/31/08 03:29 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: dancer9]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Well, I didn't mean to imply I don't give a rip. Sure I care. I just like comfortable jeans more than I like a fancy dress. But I like to feel feminine and pretty and lacy, too. I like soft and silky and cuddly. Sexy isn't listed there. I like black lace and silk; red lace and silk! You know?

#140246 - 01/31/08 03:55 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

Can I use the British actress Judi Dench as an example of a smart woman.She shines from within..still sought after at her age..she has a style unique to her and recently was in Cranfoed a TV series worth watching.All the actresses went without make-up to allow the age of the characters to be authentic.Judi drapes her pashmina over her shoulder.I have two..one lavendar one a gift from China and a cheaper one.I ise it as a wrap not having Judi's style.Like helen Mirren Judi is still a star.Helen Mirren has a different style and I put her in a league of her own.Maeve Binchy the author is always smart ..she has a dressmaker who keeps her dressed in exactly what suits Maeve best.I like diversity in style and love magazines where I can appreciate all ages of woman.
MA

#140247 - 01/31/08 04:20 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mountain Ash,
Judi Dench is a beautiful woman and a wonderful actress as is Helen Mirren! I love them both! The British actresses seem to not mind letting their hair gray and they look lovely doing it! We could learn a lot from these women as far as class and aging!

They are a great example, to be sure!

dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#140248 - 02/01/08 08:33 AM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: dancer9]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
My style is a little bit of everything, but living in
Hawaii I lean toward sporty, trendy.

#140249 - 02/01/08 03:03 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: diamond50]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
dancer,
This is an excellent topic; I don't want you to think, I think otherwise. That expression "rat's butt" I stole from Judge Judy. She's always saying that and I find it funny.
I'm always looking for a good laugh because I've got some heavyduty stuff in my life right now. The thing I want to point out is: when a subject presents itself to a person,
it depends what stage of life that person is in, as to how much importance it holds. When I worked I liked Liz Claiborne, Alfred Dunner, London Fog outerwear and naturalizer footwear. But I've been retired for sometime now. So clothes don't hold a high level of forcus for me any longer. When ladies are out in public everyday, it's a different story. Of course, it's important, then. Plus, I'm out in the country, and see fewer folks' than those that live in the city. I dress up when I go to dinner or some social event. But that's seldom. I'm just trying to apologize for my first response. I know it was jokingly brief and I didn't want to minimize the importance of this thread. Like diamond, sport, trendy is good here too.

#140250 - 02/01/08 07:59 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: dancer9]
euphrades Offline

black or white or cream. must be an all natural fabric. must be able to go in the washing machine. it can be ironed or not ironed I don't care. i use to be a clothes horse. now i'm just a comfortable, very happy, grandmother of 5 boys, married to my husband twice, nice job on wall street,
antique and art collector very happy person. Much Love my sisters.

#140251 - 02/01/08 08:06 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: euphrades]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Welcome, euphrades! Glad to see you jump right in....this is a great place to "just be," something we all need. Let's hear lots more from you!

#140252 - 02/01/08 08:24 PM Re: What is your style of dressing? Poll [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Although I am on a break from the forum, I wanted to post this in honor of a woman I knew...

There was one woman who to this day has the most style of anyone I ever have met.
It was a dance patron I had in my twenties. She was in her 70's and although her face was lined, she was beautiful by anyone's standards. Men found her attractive and so did women.
As a singer and a dancer fighting to prove myself in a feild that contained some masters of music, I was nervous when she came to my shows. She would come, be dressed in a nice dress and have a ring on, a cocktail ring as big as you can get, on one of her fingers. It was her trademark, if you will, to have a cocktail ring on her finger.

She could not stay late but she brought her lady friends and watched me sing or dance with such joy and she was SO generous to me, I was pushed along in my career by her. She could not dance, she never sang, but she loved music. She said she saw something special in me and wanted to help me along. I was ever so grateful and loved her greatly because of it. It was like the "Flashdance," movie, and she was, again, stunning to everyone!

She cared about arts, literture, dance, song, and painting were her favorites. We all loved her very much. She had the most wonderful collection of fine books.

The point here is that she was relevent to all of us who were artists. Not just those she sponsered but to those she did not. Her taste was trusted.

I used to look at her and tell myself, "I want to be just like her when I am that age!" I want to be proud of myself, and age gracefully. I want to be relevent.

I wanted to put this here even thought I am bowing out a lot now because I wanted to tell everyone what I thought was beauty in a woman and what other artists agreed with. We also loved and admired O'Keefe.

Age makes a fine wine finer. It is the same with women, but if you have something inside you that is a personality flaw you don't work on, you are like wine being aged that is not going to taste well at all.

It's about the inside and yes, the outside.

dancer, still on break

Edited by dancer9 (02/01/08 08:27 PM)

"Question your privilege"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved