The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 50 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#131552 - 11/10/07 06:37 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Lola]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Lola, You've done well to describe the nice things about visiting the small town. I like to visit for the same reasons.
I get worried when I talk to the locals and the stares start, the questions come up and suddenly I'm frightened of the closeness that never seems to accept me... Still, they fake a good game when I'm in those small towns and I don't think we could live without them!
dancer, little fish in big sea

"Question your privilege"

#131553 - 11/10/07 08:15 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dancer, got to compliment you on the interesting questions you bring up. This one made me think.

Meredith, I enjoyed your poem. I like your refreshing writing style.

If I were single, I would definitely prefer the city. I also think people are more worldly, tolerant and sociable in the city.

Many people living in small villages are narrow-minded and see anyone outside of their tight circles as an intruder. I don’t know if it is that way in America, (maybe in Maine), but I experienced unfriendly treatment when we moved to a little village in Germany. I think a green marcian would have been accepted more then an American. Before we moved to the village, I lived in Muenich, which is a large metropolitan city. Being American was considered exotic and interesting there. I actually attracted people just because of that.

But…as it is, I’m not single, and my husband would never give up our house,…so I have accepted where I am, and have made the best of it,…I think…I hope…I think.

#131554 - 11/10/07 08:37 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: dancer9]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
I've lived in small villages or out in the country all my life apart from one year in a city...I hated it because I felt lonely! I was so anonymous it freaked me out! Having said that, village life can be a little suffocating when everyone knows or wants to know your business all the time. When my ex-husband had an affair and left me, I felt like I was in a goldfish bowl. My heart is in the country...wide open space, peace and quiet but good neighbors a short walk away...perfect!

#131555 - 11/10/07 09:16 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Edelweiss]
dancer9 Offline

Hannelore, I will say that I am surprised! I expected, when I posted this, to hear all those here say they liked small town life!
Everyone almost is a city girl! This is great for me because I am one but again, small towns can be great for visiting and day trips. They also are great for a month or so to disappear for awhile.

Still, without the city, I am miserable. I'm interested to find you, and others, such city girls!
dancer

#131556 - 11/10/07 09:19 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Countrygirl]
dancer9 Offline

Country girl, I wanted to post to say I'm sorry for what happened to you in that small town! That is exactly what I'm talking about when I say everyone knows everyone's business. Sometimes, like with you, Country girl, a woman needs her privacy. Instead of feeling safer, one can feel more afraid to go out and hear others talking about you or know that others know your business when it's something you know is best left to you and whom YOU decide to share it with!
People will gossip anywhere, but in a city, you can avoid those who would gossip against you easier!

I'm sorry, Country girl!
dancer

#131557 - 11/10/07 09:32 PM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Poppie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Now in London and loving it(even though I miss my family big time)..I live in the Eastend now which has a great community spirit and people get to recognise me pretty quick..and get to greeting me on sight. I suspect that when I am an established Jewellery designer in Ireland...then Vancouver could be a place to start over in??

So I guess that makes me a ciy gal.

Poppie

Where does Celtic want to live?

well Vancouver probably is similar to Ireland and U.K.,..we get enough rain in winter, unless you are in the mountains But many other things make up for it.

Vancouver area, Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands have very dynamic artistic communities. Here's a major annual art studio tour this month http://www.eastsideculturecrawl.com/

Have you been to Vancouver/Northwest Pacific coast yet? I also think as an artist, you would benefit immensely from exposure to native Indian/aboriginal artistry here...or just their arts in general. The aboriginal iconagraphy and presence is much more pronounced here compared to eastern Canada for instance.

Just a thought, where in Europe you don't have native Indian art, culture, history and politics..at all. Unless you want to count the Sami, the nomadic reindeer people in Finland and former Soviet Union.

I don't quite agree that big city lacks close community feeling. It depends which neighbourhood you live in. There are a few established neighbourhoods where the sense of community is there.

The Vancouver area, including the suburbs is close to 1 million. However 1/2 hr. municipal bus ride or by bike (abit more time and puffing up grades), you will be in wilderness where there's downhill skiing, serious hiking trails, temperate rainforests, and yes there are bears in certain areas...and still see the city below.

Where we live, we do have the best of both worlds..close by plus the ocean.

#131558 - 11/11/07 02:03 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Nice, Meredith!
dancer

#131559 - 11/11/07 02:04 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

enough to "grow your mind," is a wonderful way of putting it, Orchid.
I like that.
dancer

#131560 - 11/11/07 08:51 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: dancer9]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Orchid, Celtic and I have spoken of a move to Canada at some stage...the question would be when? The dynamics of our family situation are are very different from the times of these discussions..but I woulld still imagine that it is still a concideration.
Love Your work Mrs M

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#131561 - 11/11/07 09:55 AM Re: Are you a "city girl," or a "small town girl?" [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
CITY!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved