The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 98 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12495 - 02/03/06 02:26 AM Re: It never ends
Raven West Offline

Loc: California
Kay,
I have to take my mom to the hospital for an angiogram. Her circulation is terrible to her legs, at 81 I'm not sure what they're going to do. Dad is in a great assisted living place, but he hates it and suggested he live with Me. That can't happen because of a number of issues, but it is really hard being an only child and watching my parents both deteriorate. Just have to keep a good sense of humor and a good bottle of Jack Daniels! All the best!
Raven West

#12496 - 02/03/06 01:36 PM Re: It never ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kay, your mention of young and adorable made me laugh. They're all seeming to be young these days. I wonder if that means we're getting older...

#12497 - 02/04/06 11:32 PM Re: It never ends
china Offline

Kay, You and your family are in my prayers. You sure sound like a very strong, intelligent and caring person. Please do balance out your day and make sure there is time for Kay!!!!

#12498 - 02/06/06 02:00 AM Re: It never ends
JustMe2006 Offline

Loc: New York
Hello Everyone! I'm new here and I am very excited to have found this forum! I am the oldest of three but some times I feel alone when it comes to my parents. Anyway, I have a question for Kay. What nursing home are you referring to? Right now I am doing research on Nursing Homes for my Mom. She suffers from alzheimers and lives with my Dad in the Bronx, NY and gets 8-hour care daily from a medicaid health aide. My Dad's health is getting worse and the stress is getting too much for him. I live in Queens, NY near the Long Island border. I am considering having Mom near me but I just don't want to place her anywhere and would love to hear any recommendations from someone who has been there.
Thank you all! =o)

#12499 - 02/08/06 02:31 AM Re: It never ends
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I am going to PM you with a site I used to check out other choices JUST IN CASE....

I would have went and visited more sights if needed...Make sure you also speak with visitors--
they are the best source of info on the facilities!

#12500 - 02/08/06 02:59 PM Re: It never ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

JustME, do pop in visits before you decide on a place.

Also see what lies ahead financially when your mom needs more care. SOme places are reasonable until you need more care. Then you have to pay for every little visit to the room (it seems).

#12501 - 02/08/06 05:10 PM Re: It never ends
JustMe2006 Offline

Loc: New York
Thanks for the tip!

#12502 - 02/08/06 06:05 PM Re: It never ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Just Me... also ask the workers there if you can. Not just one of them either. Ask ones on different wings and ones that work in different areas. Sometimes they are reluctant to talk, but sometimes you can find one that will spill the beans. Course you have to take into account that a worker may make it sound too good, or too bad, depending on THEIR own experience as an employee there. Check out the Better Business Bureaus too and see if there have been any complaints filed against the homes.

If you can make you "drop in" visits be at different shifts, all the better. Sometimes you see different things "happening" at night than you would during the day when the largest amount of supervisors are around. Usually the night shift keeps a minimum. At least this was my experience.

JJ

#12503 - 02/08/06 06:10 PM Re: It never ends
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
And use your nose. If it smells bad, it probably is.

smile

#12504 - 02/08/06 07:54 PM Re: It never ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
One other thing that suddenly came to me is that I couldn't help but notice how the nurses and assistants would respond to the dementia patients. In the VA home my Dad was in, most of them would respond with care and love in their voices and this was reassuring to me. And they wouldn't necessarily SEE me watching or listening either. So if you can, open your ears to the conversations going on around you while you visit and pay close attention to the "tone" of their voices when communicating with the patients.

JJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved