The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 49 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#121351 - 06/15/07 03:32 PM renting/buying?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm not so sure how this generation of kids is going to be able to buy homes. The prices are astronomical. Are any of you helping your kids get their first homes by making it an investment for you? We have a few friends who are doing this.

#121352 - 06/15/07 05:35 PM Re: renting/buying?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
We got some start money from my parents, so that we could buy a home. We were so forever grateful for that, and always said that we want to do the same for our children if we possibly can.

We were able to give each son the down payment for his real-estate (about 1/3 of the total cost). No way could they have ever done this on their own. And if they rented something comparable, they would have had to pay more rent then their monthly mortgage payments.

I'm so glad that we were able to do this for them. It wasn't easy for us. We had to take money from our retirement plan, but I believe in that saying; 'it's better to give with a warm hand then a cold one'. According to our own business experiences, at least 75% of the younger generation get help from their parents when buying real estate.

It's like you say, Dotsieā€¦the prices are so astronomical, that there is practically no other way.

#121353 - 06/16/07 09:32 AM Re: renting/buying? [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My son and DIL managed to do it on their own after renting for nearly 17 years. They got a really good deal on a beautiful home and it had nearly $18,000. equity when they bought it. I am so proud of them both. They both work full time jobs and do very well for themselves.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#121354 - 06/16/07 02:05 PM Re: renting/buying? [Re: chatty lady]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We have allot of big new houses being built in our neighborhood. Most of them are being bought by young couples in their 20's. Parents or grandparents are giving them the downpayment, which is great I guess, if they can afford it. However, it seems after a year or two the houses go up for sale because they can't swing the payments anymore. Kids are out of a home and move back with the parents, and the parents are out of their money.

We rented many many years before we bought our first house. We got our down payment with a VA loan. The second house we bought, we borrowed against our 401K. I would have never even thought of asking my parents for money to help purchase a house. For one thing, they didn't have it. And the next, doing things on our own has taught us about hard work, goals, self reliance, patience/time, & responsibility, knowing we couldn't have everything we wanted right then, but in time we could.

#121355 - 06/17/07 11:29 AM Re: renting/buying? [Re: Cookie]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My daughter and S-I-L had some help from his parents and her father remodeled their kitchen for them. I wasn't in a position to help with money. I helped with little things. when I remarried and was ready to sell the house I lived in, I sold it to my son. He had the downpayment. I gave him a "gift of equity." This enabled him to buy. I believe in helping them get started if we are able. (As long as they appreciate it and also do for themselves.) As we get older, it gets more difficult to help them because we need the money for our retirement. But, I do think a lot of young people need the help today more than ever. What is it they say? Be good to your kids. They pick your nursing home

#121356 - 06/17/07 12:54 PM Re: renting/buying? [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
My daughter and her husband bought their house prior to their wedding out of my SIL's inheritance from his grandmother. Immediately after their engagement was announced, my daughter and SIL bought things for the house. A little at a time as and when budget allowed as most of the inheritance money was invested in the house. They started off with little things for the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom...soft furnishings and the like. Most things were acquired from seasonal sales. My house and the other parents' house became the storage for these items in the meantime while the house was being built. The bigger items were purchased soon as it was finished. I, and the other set of parents purchased the bigger appliances (fridge/freezer & washing/dryer machine) as part of our wedding presents for the young couple.

My son, on the other hand, lived at home until he can save up for his own place without having to owe the bank money. He purchased his flat, rented it out for a year to recover his cost in decorating and furnishing it. When the tenancy agreement expired, he moved into it last year and was wise enough to have purchased at the time that he did because the market value for his property has since doubled. Many of his very close friends (a gang of 10), lived at home until they were financially able to buy into property with very little owing to the bank. Interest rates have gone up twice in six months. My son and his friends, who have bought properties, have since bought two more flats jointly with those who cannot purchase on their own so that helped two more in the gang of 10 to get into home ownership in some way.

Grown up children living at home has become an all too common thing now. While I would have loved for my son to live with me forever rent-free, it is gives me peace of mind that he is on his own because I know he'll be fine should anything happen to me. He scrimped and saved to get on the property ladder. Now, he's scrimping and saving for the wedding.

#121357 - 06/19/07 08:51 PM Re: renting/buying? [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, sounds like your won is a winner.

But from the sounds of it, most kids buying places are getting some sort of help from their parents. Urg...I knew something like this would occur after we finished paying for college...

#121358 - 06/19/07 08:56 PM Re: renting/buying?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
And you got THREE ! We made sure that we gave each one the exact same amount. It didn't matter to us that one son earned more then the other. That way no one can say we practiced any favouritism.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved