The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10209 - 02/28/03 03:21 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Candice,
yeah, husbands really don't like our advice do they? One more idea for when you are trapped inside. We have tons of rain here so I do this when I can't get outside to exercise.
We lived in a real small beach cabin at first so I walked around and around our daveno.
Now we have a stairway so I climb up and down that four or five times a day and it does help.
Not as much fun as outside. In fact its downright boring so I have to make a game of it.
Maggie

#10210 - 03/26/03 09:27 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Just wanted to give you an update on my husband and his diabetes. He went back after two months of diagnosis and his blood sugars hadn't gone down enough, so they gave him the pills. I think his doctor should have given him some more time because he has been sick for pretty much five of the eight weeks and taking different medicines, which raises the blodd sugars and he is taking a steroid to get his sinuses cleared up so he can have surgery on pollups (not sure how to spell it)in his nose.

My husband says he is cool with it because he knows that while he can do the diet changes, he cannot make the time to exercise like he should. He works way too much and I really don't blame him for not wanting to exercise when he gets home at 9 pm. and hasn't eaten dinner yet, or not wanting to wake up early in the morning because he goes to bed realy late after eating at 9. He says that he doesn't want to take them forever, but just until he can figure something out that will work with his schedule.

#10211 - 04/11/03 05:20 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Just wanted to give you a few herbal tips for diabetes.

Cinnamon helps people with diabetes metabolize sugar. (for type II or non-insulin dependent diabetes) Cinnamon reduces the amount of insulin necessary for glucose metabolism.

Fenugreek has great promise in alleviating Type II. It can drop the urinary sugar levels.

Sage is another strong herb that helps the body's cells use glucose. It can be of value to people with diabetes, especially Type II.

A person with diabetes can use sage any way that's convenient. Drink Sage tea or use it in food as a spice, just so long as you ingest it.

To make a tea, pour a cup of boiling weater over one to two teaspoons of dried sage leaves and steep for ten minutes.

Remember to always discuss treatments, drug and herb, with your doctor.

** this information culled from "The Complete Book of Natural & Medicinal Cures" by the editors of Prevention Magazine Health Books.

#10212 - 04/14/03 08:44 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Spock53 Offline

Loc: Vulcan, Alberta, Canada
Candice, I have been watching your posts and have a small tip. Hopefully your husband is not succuming to his Sweet Tooth. I know for my Husband occasionally he gets a strong urge for sweets and if we are having company he wants to be included in desserts. He uses a sweetener called Stevia in his coffee. It has a slight licorice flavor but extremely low caloric content and I occasionally make him muffins or cookies with is as well. There is a website to check out Stevia http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/
This is a great place to get recipes. Stevia is available in most health food stores. As my husband is now 60 and has had this disease for 9 years relying on diet and the pills, we have also been investigating the long term effects of diabetes. Take heart though, My Dad had diabetes at 55 and lived to be 89 and didn't have to take insulin until he was 83. He passed away from pneumonia. Don't be too concerned about having to take the pills. I would not get too concerned until insulin is required.
Sounds to me like he is doing very well and once on the pills he will find it much easier to regulate his blood sugar.
All the best.

#10213 - 04/14/03 04:14 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Spock53 and Candice, thought I would share that Spock mentions not to get too concerned until he has to take shots...

My husband does 4-5 shots a day and has been a diabetic for 25 years! (Always a Type I) I agree with Spock53, but also know that someday injections may be the solution and they are a life-line for so many. Trust me, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but once you get used to the idea it truly works miracles for living a healthy, active life. [Wink]

My daughter, (Type II Diabetic) has a tremendous time of trying to do the diet and exercise thing. It is so hard for teens because everywhere they turn there is junk food & sodas.
[Roll Eyes]

#10214 - 04/25/03 02:58 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
As a relative newly dx diabetic, type 2, I have several things to suggest. I myself am able to manage so far by diet and exercise. I do find several things that work for me and maybe one or 2 can help your husband. First I highly recommend drinking lots of water, at least 8-10 glasses a day. Besides being good for your body it also fills you up so you aren't as hungry. I find if I drink water first then if I truly must indulge I do with 1 chocolate kiss. 2nd suggestion is one you received earlier. Beginning a meal, even breakfast and lunch with a green salad gives you healthy food and fills you up so you eat less of the not so healthy foods. Third thing is to exercise. I know it is hard, but it is easiest if you can find a partner to do it with, do it regularly as a routine and start out small and build up time and endurance. Often brisk walking is all it takes. Everyone should have a lunch hour so if you eat for 10-15 minutes and walk for the rest 15-30 minutes that works. Especially if your husband is working long hours, he should find that walking in the middle of the day will increase his afternoon productivity as well. Walking is cheap and can be done anyware, at anytime. Good luck.

#10215 - 09/11/03 05:21 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am happy to annouce that my daughter had an awesome check up today for her Type 2 Diabetes!

Her overall blood sugar for the past 3 months has come down and we are so pleased. I had her call her dad at work from the car to make the announcement.

I credit her with all the HARD work.

Her care was split into 3 areas: diet, exercise, and blood testing.

We have worked as a team; her dad, doctor, daughter, and I to accomplish this but the patient is always the one who has to make the changesand live by them.

If anyone needs a little guidance on how to go about this and the different techniques we are using I am happy to share. Just ask... [Wink]

#10216 - 09/11/03 09:14 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,
I was tickled as well to hear how good your daughter is doing! She is very disciplined to follow through, I know. Firsthand too. My nephew is an acute diabetic and ALSO has a disease called cilliac (probably misspelled). One calls for one kind of diet, the other a different one. He IS NOT disciplined and my sister, along with assorted other members of the family at different times, have spent many a night at the emergency room praying to the good Lord to let him live. This has happened more times than I want to count. My sister has lost sleep, nerves, and at times, faith in him. He has even NOT done what he knew he was suppose to do, just to get attention. He was diagnosed at 12 months old so this isn't a new thing either. He has a pump, but even the "pump doctor" said if he doesn't straightened up and do what he is suppose to do, he is pulling out the pump and he is on his own. Pretty bad, huh? He is 16 now and seems to be doing a little better. We do pray for him and for my sister all the time. SO WHEN I TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM TO HEAR YOUR GOOD NEWS...well sister, I mean it. Give her a hug from me!

#10217 - 10/04/03 12:48 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Wow JJ! I'm sorry to hear about your nephew. I can only imagine how hard this is for him and your sister. Sometimes we have to hit rock bottom to realize a problem is real. I hope this doesn't have to happen to him.

If sis ever wants to talk to my daughter to see what motivates her I bet she would talk to her. Sometimes kids have a better perspective on these things than we adults. [Razz]

#10218 - 10/07/03 12:24 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I was telling my husband about your daughter's good news and he says his new slogan for living with diabetes is WWJD. What WOuld (Your Daughter's Name) Do? He definitely needs to get back on the wagon after our trip. It's hard to stay disciplined when your eating out for evey meal and eating at different times (especially in Europe).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved