The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#134930 - 12/16/07 12:19 AM Shimmer for the holidays or always!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Well, we have a member, bless her heart, that loves to wear make up, and tried a trick with shimmer and looked great! Lady Jane made me very happy by telling me it worked for her!
So, I've some tips for shimmery products that can work now, or later, and specially for Lady Jane.

Use a shimmery product like the one I provided a link for on the following places to make a BIG difference! NO! DON'T do them all at once! You will look like a Christmas ornament! Take care, use one or two. I think all women should have such a product even if they wear no make up at all!
1. Use it on your cheekbones. Just dust a small amount and blend it in well right on your cheek bones.
2. Use it on your brow bone! If you use a small amount, blending again on your brow bone, under your eyebrow, your eyes will POP! NO, not "pop," but "pop," as in light up!
3.Between eyes like explained in my earlier post.
4. Use it on your shoulders if you are wearing a dress that is sleeveless especially if it has spagetti straps or small straps! Strapless dresses for parties look great too if you dust your shoulders with a shimmer product. Use it sparingly and your skin will light up and look smooth if you blend it well!
5. Dust in your hair! Yes, if you take a small amount in your palm, wiping a bit there on your hand, move your hands through your hair as you do when washing it. Use a little bit so it is not seen but it's "seen," if you know what I mean. If your product has a great scent, it will also make your hair smell nice. Go ahead and try a little bit in your hair!
6. If your dress or top allow, it looks great on your collar bones! If you use it on your collarbones and blend it in, don't use it on your shoulders! On the collarbone, it is sexy but no one notices what you have done! It lights up the bottom of your face!
7. After applying lipstick, put a dab of shimmer on your lower lip, in the middle! Just a small, almost not noticeable dab on the low lip in the middle gives you a pouty lip and is very, very pretty! Try it! Blend it in the center of your lower lip, and none on you top lip or the sides!
8. Mix a bit with your lotion as you apply it to your legs! It gives your legs a sheen that is again, nice but not really noticeable. You can do this with your arms as well, just not too much!

If you buy a shimmer product, and I put a link there above to help you find one, I recommend you only buy a white one or a pink one that is a light pink. Those are able to be used everywhere.

There are some tricks with JUST shimmer! I have so many tips, it's nuts! Try these, they are a blast. I recommend buying a shimmer product and mixing it or using it for all of the above so you don't have to buy separate lotion with shimmer as they sell, or eye shadow with some shimmer, etc...
Make it yourself! Use your shimmer and shine, Y'all!

Let me know, Lady Jane.

dancer9

P.S. Is this what you meant by fashion first, Dotsie?

"Question your privilege"

#134931 - 12/16/07 01:03 AM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: dancer9]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh yes, YES! dancer, I love to shimmer, especially this time of year! I've used all the above....sometimes I use it at home just because it's fun!Love it....I also use the shimmery lotions. I have to hold myself back because I WOULD look like a Christmas tree...if not careful.

#134932 - 12/16/07 06:03 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

Lady, I just LOVE the way you play with suggestions! I'm the same way! You keep me going!
dancer9

#134933 - 12/19/07 08:48 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
dancer, we went to a Christams party on Sunday and I didn't wear eyeliner on my lower lid for the first time in years. Then I went to a retirement party for my husband's office manager yesterday, and didn't wear it again. I wore mascara only on the eyes.

Thanks for this suggestion. Whether I looked younger or not, I did notice how everyone else in our generation ahd lots of dark eyeliner beneath their eyes. The fact that I didn't, made me feel younger.

It's amazing what the power of suggestion and the mind will do!

What do you recommend for dark circles? I just bought this stuff that really lightens things up, but it makes the wrinkles under my eyes more apparent so what good is that? I tried eye cream, then the make-up and it didn't make too much of a difference.

#134934 - 12/20/07 12:21 AM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always!
dancer9 Offline

Dotsie,
I'm sure you looked lovely AND younger! You lightened up and it lightened up your evening! I am going to a party tomorrow night, and without Mascara or liner on my lower eyelashes!

For circles on must be careful. Too heavy of concealer, too light of concealer, too much of concealer and too thick of concealer will make them light up life Las Vegas on the 4th of July!
Best remedy with make up I have found from make up artists and friends:

Use a moisterizer under your eyes as usual. Make sure it is not heavy or oily, you don't need that because there are no pores in the under eye area.
Take a concealer that is ONLY one half to one shade lighter than your base, ONLY that much lighter, a shade or a half a shade is needed or you will show OFF your black eyes!

Use your little finger and blend ONLY in the corner of your eye and a little, little bit down the eye socket. Do not,
put concealor under the eyes, only in the corner of the eye and blend down the eye socket and a bit around the eye socket bone. If you put concealer underneath your eyes, for example, under the eyelashes and down, you are accenting your eye problem and lighting it up! If you ONLY use it in the corner and blend down the eye socket you will not accent wrinkles we all have under our eyes or crows feet we all have. You want to light up your eye, not cover your eye skin, think "light," not "cover."

Lastly, Dotsie, consider also using your concealer in a thin line below your bottom lashes, blended REALLY well. This lights up the under eye area and makes eyes glow, and we've talked about dark things being bad under the eye. It's a trick many use!

I apply, and most I know, apply, their cover up over any foundation they use. I only use Bare Minerals so I put it on first if I use it. After you apply it and blend it down, make sure you dust your face with powder because again:
Matte is prettier on women over 35!

Watch the product. What do you use? There are some I recommend.
Lancome water proof concealer.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P54438&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1741

This is a great, light, stay there concealor that blends nicely even without make up and the tube lasts FOREVER! The tube is small and easy to carry if you want to, and the concealer color is great! The concealer can also be used to highlight cheek bones! It's the Rolls of cover ups.It's also thin and not too thick so you can't get those thick wrinkles in your cover up.

This is my number 1*** choice, Dotsie. For you, it would be perfect. You've a busy life and when it's on, it's on! You can use it on your upper lids too!

Smashbox has a crayon concealer that is great.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P156212&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3990

It is light, it does not move as much as other concealers (concealers tend to bleed and if not, they are too thick.) It is easy to apply and carry everywhere!

I hope this helps you, Dotsie, and anyone else who wonders how to deal with under eye dark circles!

dancer

Edited by dancer9 (12/20/07 12:52 AM)

#134935 - 12/21/07 05:32 AM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dancer, funny how both Dotsie and I had the same question in different forums. Dotsie looks like she'd be a natural evolution to the no eye liner tip. I used the Lancome, and it was a bit heavy, so now I'll try the Smashbox. Smashbox also has a photo-op brightener. What do you think fo that product?

#134936 - 12/21/07 06:20 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: Princess Lenora]
dancer9 Offline

HRH Princess,
Wait! Wait until I'm done! Bare Minerals has a concealer!
It's true, LOL,
dancer, back with you soon on that make up question1

#134937 - 12/21/07 07:39 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Here is your new business adventure, Dancing Angel: you tell women to send you 8 x 10 close ups, and you give them advice on hair and makeup, for a fee, of course, and you charge $, and you take before and after pics, and we will have fun! I am buying my Bare Minerals from Ulta today. I can't stand the makeup I am using, and I trust your advice, so I

#134938 - 12/21/07 10:21 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: Princess Lenora]
dancer9 Offline

A great Idea, HRH Lenora! I will work with those who are cool and hip like the ladies here!
I will help your friends if you like. But ~ what do people charge to style people? I know it is done in major cities but I don't know what they charge!
dancer, happy about Bare Minerals.

#134939 - 12/21/07 11:05 PM Re: Shimmer for the holidays or always! [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Great suggestion Princess...
I'll be one of, if not, the first to send my mugshot. After the hair discussion, I'm thinking maybe, just maybe there is hope for my THINNING BABY FINE locks. I truly don't think there is. Mine seems to be thinning through a genetic gift. Besides that, dancer would take one look at me and say, "this is one reason not to take on such a venture."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved