The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145782 - 04/07/08 06:31 PM discovering new interests away from spouse
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ross has really gotten back in to playing tennis. It's soemthing he put aside while the kids were growing up because we were so busy trucking them around to their sports and activities. But now he's back at it and really enjoying it.

I once played tennis, but due to knee surgeries, have chosen not to go back to playing seriously. I'm too scared of another injury.

So, as many of you know, I am beginning rowing this month and can't wait. I want a midlife passion that's healthy and allows me to get soem exercise.

Just curious what some of you do apart from your spouses...

#145783 - 04/07/08 07:23 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
What fun..I´ll get back to you when I can..

#145784 - 04/07/08 09:07 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Rowing what, and rowing where? Tell us about this please.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#145785 - 04/07/08 10:05 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, are you rowing on water, or in a gym? I used to live a couple blocks away from a major "rowing" lake in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. This was the lake where many world-class teams practiced rowing. I used to love walking over to watch.

I used to do a lot of canoeing in my younger days, and thoroughly enjoyed both the exercise and the serenity.

I don't have many activities in my life at all these days, for a myriad of reasons, and none at all "away from my spouse". Every time I finally find both the energy and motivation to pursue something of interest, someone gets sick, dies or needs me to help them through a crisis.

The one thing that I DO safeguard and insist on carving time for is being HERE at BWS.

I know I need to find something outside of here to get me out of the house, but with several "crises" requiring my energy, time, presence and support over the next few months, I can't forsee a time or activity in the near future. I don't even know what I'd want to try...

(Maya Angelou)

#145786 - 04/07/08 10:19 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse
humlan Offline

What do I do "away from my partner"..hmm..for starters, my time here with all of you on this forum..is my time. I like walking on my own..with or without music to listen to..watching movies that I like..yoga is my time..visiting with my closest friends and talking girl talk..which can get very philosophical at times..at one time, I did got to the gym and do my thing..but I am not doing that now..time with my grandchildren..since they are not his family..eventho we do have time with them together,too. My walks by the lake where the vikings once lived..usually with music..

It would seem that we don´t have much time together, wouldn´t it? But we do, believe it or not but the question was interests away from spouse

#145787 - 04/07/08 10:26 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: humlan]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
omgosh...I cannot imagine walking by a lake where the Vikings once lived! How wonderful. My imagination would run amuck there.

What do I do away from my spouse? Oh Lordy....let's see, enjoy life, laugh, eat what I want, go where I want...do what I wa----oh wait...this was for married people, right? My bad....(teehee...)

#145788 - 04/08/08 02:44 AM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Frankly I see little difference between my personal passionate interests before him and now with him in my life.

After finishing university up until now, I've always taken the odd art course here and there..calligraphy and painting on my own. Before him and now, it's still baroque classical music.

Before him....now with him, with greater intensity..cycling. ..and more travel.

I still enjoy wandering around on foot or by bike on my own, chatting lots with good friends.

Right now work sucks up so much of time, that I haven't thought of "new" interests. Having enough problems finding enough time to pursue current interests regularily at length.

#145789 - 04/08/08 06:19 PM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

orchid..I second that..work sucks up so much time and energy..no time for anything "new"..eventho I get inspired here on the forum..and would love to TRY something..

Orchid..I was going to walk and do some indoor cycling today..but I think it will be my yoga..you find the time and dedication..why can´t I????? I used to run/jog fervently..but since my knees have protested..loudly..I am not the sportswoman I know that I need and want to be..UFF!!! And good luck!

#145790 - 04/09/08 01:12 AM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: humlan]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
What interests I have apart from my partner are school and this forum. Although I share both with him. And I know I can do whatever I want and he will support my decision. He has taken on most of the household chores so I can work on my class stuff - he's fantastic!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#145791 - 04/09/08 03:50 AM Re: discovering new interests away from spouse [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I can understand the need for new interests apart from the spouse. That's healthy. Dotsie, do you like golf? I think it's fund when couples golf together. I don't do anything of mutual interest with my husband. Our interests used to be similar. For example, I used to like the Grateful Dead, and I went to concerts with him, and he still listens to the GD but I can't stand GD anymore. He likes sports. I know nothing about sports and won't learn. Occasionally we hike together. We are interested in our home. I had to develop many interests away from him because of his crazy restaurant hours. I have to look deeper for common interests now, like we have values in common.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved