The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122045 - 06/24/07 03:31 AM We know of SIX couples either divorcing...
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
...or considering it.

What is going on? DH and I are feeling depressed over this. His brother, a good friend of mine, a friend of DH's, a couple of other couples we know.

I am wondering why. Why does this happen? Now some reasons are obvious, but when you think a couple is "rock solid", then they spring this on you.

Do you think it stems from boredom? Non-communication? Selfishness? Stubbornness? One or both parties not willing to make necessary changes to make things work?

Just thinking aloud here, but it's such a heaviness we both feel. Makes one want to run away and not listen to other's problems.

Thanks for reading.

#122046 - 06/24/07 04:54 AM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I remember the lst divorce I learned of...was of my best friend...after about 10 years of marriage. I was her maid of honour.

And so on.

1-2 of those friends do need a sympathetic ear now...but your heart must be willing to listen 100%.

It's too pat to say, make it work out..if the marriage started off on rocky foundations.

#122047 - 06/24/07 01:32 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, I recall going through soemthing similar a couple years ago. We weren't close to all the couples, but it just felt like all these marriages were crumbling around us. It can be disheartening especially if they are people you hang out with and are close to. The problems occur when you have to decide which of the two in the couple you will support and show your allegiance to. It's hard. Sorry you are going through this. Are any of them coming to you for advice?

#122048 - 06/24/07 04:08 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing...
Di Offline

Quote:

Are any of them coming to you for advice?

Yes, several! And one guy went to my DH in hopes of getting direction. DH is NOT one to get involved in others' problems, but I was proud of what he did advise.

Wonder what the bible really means when it says "Bear ye one another's burdens". It's so hard when all yu hear is others' complaints.

What I try to do is help them embrace what they DO have...look around and SEE what's out there. Look at the blessings etc. WHY do they feel the way the do? Selfish?

I also think it's a part of becoming "cranky" and less patient with life...the way the world is today etc. It's enough to anger God!!!

My sister is also one of them. I remind her that he is STILL a human begin (even though an athiest)..and not to be mean. But to be fair and honest, which they are doing.

It's so hard to watch from the bleechers!

#122049 - 06/24/07 06:28 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
The high divorce rate? I believe it has something to do with the fact that we all live so much longer. When was the institution of marriage established? Anyone know? All I know is that the thought of staying with the same person for possibly 80 years can be mind-boggling. People change over the years. I know I have, and I'm not the same person who my husband married 32 years ago. If you grow and develop together that's wonderful…but I'd say the odds of that happening are pretty much 50/50.

Di, one of the wise things my Mom told me is to stay away from people whose relationships are crumbling. It can be contagious. Think of yourself and your partner or husband first, and preserve it.

#122050 - 06/24/07 07:15 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Di Offline

Thank you, Hannelore. My DH feels the same way...staying away from "trouble". It's hard when it's your sibling, but the rest is very tiresome.

#122051 - 06/24/07 11:21 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree and was about to say, be glad you're way up in those bleechers, and stay there!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#122052 - 06/25/07 01:20 AM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: chatty lady]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My sister was there for me when I went through my divorce and I was there for her. They were years apart. Mine was first. I can't begin to tell you how much it meanth to have her there for me.

#122053 - 06/25/07 01:32 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Quote:

People change over the years. I know I have, and I'm not the same person who my husband married 32 years ago. If you grow and develop together that's wonderful…but I'd say the odds of that happening are pretty much 50/50.

Hannelore, you hit it right on! How many times have we heard from someone in the throes of divorce stating, 'He/She is just not the same person I married ten/twenty/thirty years ago!'

Well, I should hope he/she isn't the same! Talk about retarded personal growth, if he/she is the same person! I honestly believe a marriage or long term relationship, one that has been what we would call 'good', may end, due to one or both people growing beyond who they were in the beginning. Growing, as individual human beings, throughout life, growing together, as a couple...both are equally important, to maintaining long-term relationships.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#122054 - 06/25/07 03:43 PM Re: We know of SIX couples either divorcing... [Re: Jeannine]
Di Offline

Yes, choosing to stay thru "good times and bad" is what it's about.

DH mentioned to this one guy about menopause. Perhaps his wife is going thru some health issues? Both parties have lost their mother so they really have no one to "go by" as far as genetic aging processes. She has a younger sister. They do not live close to any relatives etc.

She is 48, he is 52, married 30 years with two grown sons.

I feel for them...and am proud of DH for telling this guy things that he may not have thought about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved