The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67417 - 10/01/04 02:34 PM Fish and tuberculosis
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Anyone have fish and ever heard of them getting TB? Well, my tank came down with it, probably from new fish I bought at the pet store that all died a couple weeks after I bought them. Then the fish I've had for several years started to die. A fish book I have says to euthanize all visibly infected fish, which I reluctantly did. It's amazing how emotional you can get about the death of a fish.

I have 2 fish left. Now I'm suppose to put them into a "hospital" tank and totally disinfect my fish tank. I'm not sure how you reuse the fish tank after you've disinfected it as fish are so susceptable to chemicals.

I'm beginning to think this fish hobby is not all that it's cracked up to be.

#67418 - 10/01/04 05:26 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh Mary, email Vicki. Her husband is the king of fish. He has a web-site devoted to them. I bet he'd have the answers.

They've been without electricity since the hurricane, but it's got to come back soon. I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can so don't worry if you don't hear from her right away.

I remember having one little goldfish for my oldest son when he was a little guy in footie pajamas.

While cleaning the simple bowl I dropped the fish on the radiator which was enclosed. We had to take the cover off and rescue the poor thing. By the time we got to him you could see all the little veins in his body. We picked him up and threw him back in the bowl, dust and all, and he survived. He looked a little translucent for a few days! [Eek!]

#67419 - 10/03/04 09:22 AM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Fill the bowl or tank with warm water and a tablespoon or two of vinegar. It kills nearly everythung and yet if any resedue is left behind it won't hurt the fish. Rinse the tank well after washing it with the vinegar water and things should be o.k. I doubt that fish TB is the same kind people get. Sorry for the loss however, I lost two beauties too years ago and still think of them often.

#67420 - 10/03/04 04:32 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,
I'm sitting here scratching my head for two reasons.

1) How did I miss the gold-fish torture story
2) How the devil did you drop a goldfish on a radiator?

Were you trying to cook it? [Wink]

JJ

#67421 - 10/03/04 05:03 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Dotsie, thanks for sending me to Vicki. She gave me a link to a site with good information on fish TB. Unfortunately, since there's no real cure for the disease, I'm still not sure what to do with my two remaining fish who may be carriers. I hate to maintain 2 separate fish tanks. I feel so bad for my remaining Gourami who looks lonely and confused. It's unlikely he can hang out with my bottom feeder who is a loner and probably hasn't noticed that the other fish are missing.

#67422 - 10/03/04 05:18 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Agate,
How does one test fish for TB?

#67423 - 10/03/04 05:32 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Agate,
I was going to modify the other post but thought I'd just add another one. My daughter-in-law is having trouble with one of her fish tanks as well and so now I'm wondering if her fish might also have TB. Can you tell me how you determined what was wrong? I could pass the info along to her. Thanks in advance!

JJ

#67424 - 10/03/04 06:12 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Mary, Maybe you could send your fish to Dotsie. She could put them on the radiator for radiation treatment.
Hey, works for me.
smile

#67425 - 10/03/04 06:31 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hey, I'll give it a whirl. [Razz]

#67426 - 10/03/04 06:32 PM Re: Fish and tuberculosis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hey, I'll give it a whirl. [Razz]

We've got to get Vicki in on this one. Maybe she'll find it now that her electricity is back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved