The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#159239 - 09/09/08 04:57 AM Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan...
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Wondering what news coverage the superconductor is getting on that side of the pond - What are you hearing about it being fired up this Wednesday?
[quote: St. Petersburg Times]World

Bold Atomic Testing To Begin in Geneva

By Alexander G. Higgins

The Associated Press

GENEVA — It has been called an Alice in Wonderland investigation into the makeup of the universe — or dangerous tampering with nature that could spell doomsday.

Whatever the case, the most powerful atom-smasher ever built comes online Wednesday, eagerly anticipated by scientists worldwide who have awaited this moment for two decades.

The multibillion-dollar Large Hadron Collider will explore the tiniest particles and come ever closer to re-enacting the big bang, the theory that a colossal explosion created the universe.
The first beams of protons will be fired around the 17-mile tunnel to test the controlling strength of the world’s largest superconducting magnets. It will still be about a month before beams traveling in opposite directions are brought together in collisions that some skeptics fear could create micro “black holes” and endanger the planet.

Here's a link to an article about it:
*** Link to St. Petersburg Times article ***

Back in the early 90s the government was building one in Texas, but the work was haulted by Congress. I don't remember hearing why... expense was probably a consideration, billions spent (pushing two decades ago) before it was even 1/2 finished. Some Dallas company bought the land, building and partially completed machine. Haven't heard what they'll be doing with it.

#159250 - 09/09/08 06:28 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
It has not made today's headlines yet, Gims. But the BBC has covered it in the past and provides an "in-depth" report on the matter. Why physicists need to do it is beyond me because, I don't see how it affects mankind at large. I am of the opinion that science ought to focus more on eradicating diseases than pursuing the "big bang".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7543089.stm

#159266 - 09/09/08 07:14 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

I think it's scary.
Did you look at the tunnel pics?
The facility in Texas tunnels look just like those... didn't have all the equipment, tho.
Messing with nature...

#159268 - 09/09/08 07:21 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Yep. It is frightful. Can you see the benefit of their exercise, Gims? I surely cannot.

#159269 - 09/09/08 07:23 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

NO, esp. if it creates black holes and brings about disaster(s) for planet earth...

#159274 - 09/09/08 07:39 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

The only thing I'd regret if the earth implodes from this adventure is that, there'll be no one left to say: "I told you so".

#159275 - 09/09/08 08:02 AM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Just listened to Stephen Hocking discussing this topic.He has a wager on this.And may get a Nobel Prize...so....

I feel like Lola does...so many other things mankind could benefit from.An endles list.

I think science can be wonderful...but the other side of this is that at times things are done because "it can be done"
Art versus Science...
would an artist or painter..poet or musician go into the unknown like this ?

many years ago a project I worked on as a young lab assistant in electronics was called Colidar. It was a measure for targeting.so the name made me recall another issue.
Mountain ash

#159412 - 09/10/08 04:37 PM Re: Lola, Mountain Ash, humlan... [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

A link to the fire up, which was embedded in one of Lola's articles....
whistle Audio of TODAY'S (BST time) EVENT

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved