The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 57 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160697 - 09/23/08 03:07 PM Cooking for two?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have hardly been cooking lately. I'm in such a rut with meal planning. All we've been having are salads.

Anyone want to share a couple simple meals they cooked this month? I swear, it's like I have a brain freeze. I walk through the food stores and say, "I don't feel like that, or that, or that, or anything."

What are you eating these days?

#160702 - 09/23/08 03:36 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Dotsie]
Bichonlover Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I'll be anxious to get a reply too Dotsie. I feel the same way. Try and eat healthy and not casserole's etc. So it's meat and veggie. Boring....

#160703 - 09/23/08 03:38 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We cook for two; usually we eat fairly healthy meals, but 2-3 times a week will opt for a simpler meal. We keep a few quick-fix things in the freezer, like frozen pizzas [we sometimes will add our own veggies and extra cheese], cabbage rolls and TV dinners for those nights when we just don't feel like cooking. One of our favourite quick-fixes that's also healthy is nachos...we use whole-grain nacho chips, salsa and sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top and then pop into the microwave for about 1.5 minutes. [We buy lots of cheese when it's on sale, grate it ourselves and keep several bags of different kinds of pre-grated cheese in the freezer. It's really handy for things like nachos, to add extra cheese to the frozen pizzas and grilled sandwiches.

Another quick-fix is to buy different bags of pre-mixed salads...broccoli & carrot coleslaw is our favourite - mix it with your favourite dressing and it's ready in minutes; we sometimes add onions, bacon-bits and/or raisins. Serve with cold cuts, a few sticks of carrots, slices of tomatoes, cucumbers and red peppers, pickles - whatever's in the fridge and whatever you have the energy to cut up - and you've got a simple tasty meal.

(Maya Angelou)

#160704 - 09/23/08 03:53 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hubby just reminded me of one of our all-time favourite quick meals. Lots of people don't think about having eggs for supper, but we often make either scrambled eggs or a veggie omelet (again, you can make it as simple or creative as you have time and energy for) and serve it with brown beans (just open a tin and heat them up) and toast (or your favourite bread/rolls from the bakery). Beans and eggs - it was one of my Dad's favourite combos and we had it for lunch every Saturday while growing up; hubby had never heard of it before, but now it's one of his favourite suppers.

(He also mentioned that he likes it with sausages too, but that's a little more cooking)

(Maya Angelou)

#160813 - 09/24/08 11:38 AM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Eagle Heart]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Great thread! Just yesterday I was asking others at work "what are you having for supper tonight?" I also feel like I'm in a rut and need to plan things out better. At the end of the day, I'm so brain weary that without a plan, I feel lost. I'd love to hear some more ideas...

#160827 - 09/24/08 05:18 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Been cooking for two for over 30 years! I have lots of recipes but I don't know about my meals being quick and simple. We are a meat, mashed tater/gravy, and veggie type of people. Tonight we are having grilled steaks, baked potato, salad, and a small dish of butterscotch pudding. My quick-simple meals are my "freezer foods" that I make ahead of time so all I have to do is nuke it, or pop it in the oven. I try to make freezer food at least once a month.

#160833 - 09/24/08 06:50 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Cookie]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Sounds good, Cookie. I had grilled steaks, grilled veggie blend and pasta salad last night. Tonight we're having homemade mac & cheese with something-or-other....see what I mean? It's 3 hours to go and I have no idea...and I even had the day off! Too much to occupy me when I finally have a chance. Maybe Friday I'll actually get a chance to sit down and write out lots of ideas to refer to.

#160842 - 09/24/08 07:38 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, wehn the kids were littlel, every now and then, we'd have breakfast for dinner. They loved it. I need to do that for the two of us. I always have lots of fresh veggies so I could make veggie omelets. Good idea.

Cookie, I'm loving your steak and potatoes. My son was great at grilling when he lived here and we had that often. Now that h's gone, we haven't made it.

LJ, I'd love mac and cheese and pasta salad if I lived alone, but Ross is a diabetic so he eats hardly any pasta at all. He's so disciplined. My daughter was home for dinner with her boyfriend last night so I made home made meatballs and sauce with angel hair pasta. He ate the meatballs and sauce and salad, but no pasta.

Any ohter ideas? LJ, I feel brain dead too when it comes to cooking these days. All we have is salad with chicken in it - over and over again. It's pathetic.

#160846 - 09/24/08 07:46 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Hey...we love mac and cheese! Nothing wrong with that for a meal. We ate mac and cheese, mac and tomatoes, mac and peas, or mac and whatever was available in the garden during our lean years. Throw some broccoli florets and chicken tenders in your mac and you have a balanced meal...kinda. smile

#160862 - 09/24/08 08:44 PM Re: Cooking for two? [Re: Cookie]
gims Offline

A cup of rice cooked in a can of Campbells Chicken and Rice soup (add water for desired consistency, a portion to whole chicken bouillon cube in proportion to water), add canned chicken. Crackers on the side, along with a choice of fruit (canned freestone peaches are my DH's fav).

Scramble eggs with onions, peppers, sausage or bacon (nuked), and cheese. Wrap in tortilla. Side of salsa. Side of carrot sticks for crunch. Add a fruit for sweet after taste.

Ground chuck, diced potatoes, onions, bell peppers, corn (season to taste) - brown together as a goulash. Cheap, easy prep and cleanup.

Bowl of cold cereal.

Tuna salad and crackers... one of my favs.

Smorgasbord of what we have on hand - usually ends up being various fruits - apples slices for sure, crackers, cheeses, sweet pickles, summer sausage, various veg sticks w/Ranch. This has been a tried and true for us... we each fill up on the parts we like, and it's usually a quick and satisfying fill.

We keep frozen pizzas and Marie Callander's chicken pot pies when we want to limit efforts to throwing something in the oven. The larger size of pot pies is a full meal, but we sometimes add salad.

Other main stays - spaghetti (which can be made in lg. quantities for later meals), homemade tacos (which serves as more than one meal), red beans and rice (crockpot).... note: left over taco meat can be used in the spaghetti; left over taco garnishing can be made into a salad; red beans can be used in the homemade tacos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved