The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#205276 - 06/30/10 05:06 PM Thought-Provoking
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
The following is the message that came in one of my online daily apps on FB. Often, the message is inspirational and helps me learn something good. I've been pondering this one for the past two days and am still unsure. So I thought I'd bring it here and see what you think.

"On this day of your life, Sharon, we believe God wants you to know ... that what you are most afraid of is where your greatest rewards are.

If all you had to do was wish for something and you would have it, life would be pretty boring, wouldn't it? God placed barriers between us and what we want, so we can enjoy interesting and satisfying lives. God hid our biggest rewards behind the highest barriers - our deepest fears. God wants us to face our fears, and hold ground in their presence, and let them go, and that's how we get out biggest rewards. What are you most afraid of? Say it, just start by saying it."

(Maya Angelou)

#205278 - 06/30/10 05:10 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hmmmmm. Very thought provoking. Thank you for sharing.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#205279 - 06/30/10 05:10 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

I'm finding it difficult to agree with all of it, but that's not my problem, I'm okay with not agreeing with everything. What I'm wrestling with is the whole idea of our biggest rewards hiding behind our greatest fears...so I ask myself what my biggest fear is - for me it's death, losing more loved ones to death and of dying before I've really learned to live.

So I'm taking those fears and looking to see what reward lies behind them, but I can't get past the fear, which is probably preventing me from fully enjoying life and the people I'm most afraid of losing...which is probably the reward itself. It's a paradox, isn't it.

Edited by Eagle Heart (06/30/10 05:13 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#205283 - 06/30/10 07:51 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Eagle, maybe your fears aren't what you think they are?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#205289 - 06/30/10 11:02 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Well, that's possible, Yonuh. I'd be interested in seeing what that greatest reward is, but if I can't id my deepest fear, how can I find the reward behind it. Maybe that's my deepest fear, that I won't find my reward.

I'm having difficulty believing the part where God deliberately puts barriers between me and what I want...it doesn't jive with what I've already experienced, which has so far clearly shown me His profound desire that I/we enjoy life to the fullest. I think it's us and/or other people (whose behaviours and choices we cannot control but which impact us anyway, especially as children) who put those barriers up, not God. I think He finds every way possible to provide us with all of the resources that we need to enable us to pull those barriers down so that we CAN get to what we need. I suppose it depends on one's definition of "want", if we're talking about material whims (I'd like to win a big lottery - but then the law of attraction urges us to focus on what we want and believe that it's already ours) or more profound wants (like to be a better person, to bring light and love to the world, etc).

It's just interesting (to me) to grapple with this one. I'm interested in how others read it.

Edited by Eagle Heart (06/30/10 11:03 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#205295 - 07/01/10 12:32 AM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW, this is deep and I would agree a little with each of your ideas but then I have to walk away and ponder on this to know what my true feeling are...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#205297 - 07/01/10 12:44 AM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I believe that sometimes rewards aren't what we expect them to be. It is only in looking back that we see what we received.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#205300 - 07/01/10 08:18 AM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

I believe that each person has a contract to whoever they believe in..God..or Another..to reach their full potential.
and that doing so means we have to climb over barriers.These barriers can be put there by others...circumstances..the times we live in..or importantly by ourselves.

At the time we amy not see why
a friendship/marriage/circumstances going wrong is there for our growth..only later when we have worked out our solution (and again importantly OUR solution)can we view why..what and how we learned for our greater good to surmount a trouble. How we process this becomes part of ourselves.Our identity.

Many times a short break either a holiday or day away can facilitate this..its hard to think whilst amongst whatever is troubling us.

Even serious illness can become a blessing..it allows a person to take a look at their lifestyle and make adjustments.Also the people we may meet when ill and vulnerable can renew faith in human beings..

I do not allow myself to be in situations where I feel another
has intent to make me unhappy.I disengage and spend no energy on the situation.
There are situations that are too sad to view like this for me..the passing of a child is one..anyones child..

This is my opinion and I share so that you may see one other persons philopsophy..

I am who I am.

#205311 - 07/01/10 12:11 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

I enjoy your sharing, Mountain Ash. It's pretty much my belief as well...that there is a golden nugget of learning in every situation and encounter, and our wisdom comes from finding that nugget and applying it to future situations and relationships.

I wish I could be quicker at disengaging myself from people with intent to hurt or diminish me. Instead of immediately walking away, I always try to reason, then grieve the inability to resolve, then detriment myself to the nth degree, before finally giving up and moving away. Maybe learning to disengage immediately and walk away without further expending further energy is my golden nugget to find and apply.

I still wrestle to name my deepest fear, though last night in prayer, I did skirt around a fear that I can rarely dare to put into words...but when I did, answers came...the profound fear that God, whom I have loved, served, sought and centere my entire life around for my entire life doesn't really exist. When I dared to speak that fear to Him, I swear I heard a chuckle in the distance, and then a lifetime's worth of examples of His presence paraded through my mind, each one shining with love and compassion, many even surprising me because I hadn't seen them as "gift of presence" before...it was such a tender reminder of a Presence Who has indeed companioned me through every moment of my life. That was indeed a rich and rewarding experience for having expressed a profound fear.

(Maya Angelou)

#205317 - 07/01/10 01:48 PM Re: Thought-Provoking [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I wonder how many people deliberate on that very same fear, Eagle? I know that I have a very difficult time believing in a god, but I do believe in goodness.

My greatest fear is (at this particular moment in time) is Dennis dying before he is ready. Because of this, I continue to plan for our lives together. I plan for his happiness as well as my own. I plan vacations together, because that is our deepest passion that we share. I work hard to be at his service, and fill his needs, while at the same time pushing him to stay as healthy as possible.

This fear, his dying before his time, gives me such great rewards, too. I find myself being kinder, more patient, more attentive and happier with myself. I am able to celebrate smaller moments and spend more time living for today and right now. Perhaps this is the gift that this fear has given me.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved