The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#19607 - 01/11/06 03:37 AM No-line eyeglasses and computers
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok, I've had bi-focals before but now I have this type with no line and I am having a very hard time.

Seems I have to move my head to follow my typing. If not,I have a blurr and everything else moves IN on me!

What the heck do you do to remedy this??

#19608 - 01/11/06 04:41 AM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Do what I did, GET NEW GLASSES without any line visible or not. Most of us do need bi-focals to begin with. I got plain reading glasses to replace the other goofy ones thay gave me and they work just fine....

#19609 - 01/11/06 05:09 AM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Di-- I had the same problem with my progessives (bi- or tri-focals with no line). It took a while to adjust. I had to be particularly careful at first walking down stairs. I'm okay with them now, though, and absolutely love them for giving speeches, eating meals, and everyday living. But I still use plain old reading glasses, like Chatty Lady does, for reading books and working on my computer.

#19610 - 01/11/06 05:39 AM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Di....Ditto to the above. I've fought with my eye doc for years to give me a prescription that matches my "cheaters," and he keeps telling me that the bifocals in my glasses are the same strength as my "cheaters." NO....they aren't.
So, I'm like the others. I wear my regular glasses to drive, and I really don't need them for that, and use my "cheaters" to read, do computer, and all my needle work.
I see the eye doc again this month. I will continue my battle!
Lynne

#19611 - 01/11/06 06:08 AM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
Di Offline

Well, I am severely near-sighted. I have had bi-focals with lines for a couple of years just for the computer, but I was hoping I'd get away with ONE pair of glasses as I have a problem losing them! I've already lost a good pair of polarized sunglasses. And these new ones are transitions, but not polarized.

Since I have a 30-day test period, I just may return them for tri-focals WITH lines to cover all angles!

What a mess this aging stuff is!!

[ January 10, 2006, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Di ]

#19612 - 01/11/06 05:24 PM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Di, I'm severely near-sighted too - always have been....I've been wearing no-line/transition lenses for years now and I clearly remember how tough the adjustment was early on. It seems like it takes our brains a while to "tune in" our head movements to just the right "sweet spot" on the lenses to see whatever it is we're looking at - including the computer screen, a book page, distance.....but once that "brain training" is complete, I think most people adjust just fine.

It's a challenge though....I'm just grateful that I can put on my glasses first thing in the morning and leave them on all day without changing to anything else - I'm always on the move and multiple pairs of glasses would be tough to keep up with.

On the other hand, my husband (who isn't as patient a soul as I am!!) really didn't TRY to get adjusted to his no-lines when they were prescribed. After a couple of days he just gave up on them and went back to his old prescription. As I said early on - it takes some patience and he's in short supply of that commodity!!!! [Wink]

#19613 - 01/11/06 05:35 PM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Di,
I'm so glad you brought this up. I am to the point where I need a pair of bi-focals and was wanting the ones without the line (vanity) at least now I know what I'm in for.

For someone who has never had bi-focals before what does everyone recommend, with the line or without for my first pair?

Do you think I'd be better off just jumping in and getting used to the ones without the lines right away? Are the ones with the lines hard to get used to also?

Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to waste money on a pair that I can't wear because the ones I'm using now just for distance definitely need to be replaced and I can't live (I can't drive or watch tv) without them.
Thank you for any help on this subject.

#19614 - 01/11/06 05:52 PM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
Di Offline

I *think* I'll go back to tri-focals WITH lines. I do not have a vanity issue, I just want to SEE!

I'm already taking the new glasses OFF to see my monitor, which defeats the purpose.

Thankfully, with Costco, I have 30 days. If they don't work out, they change them free!

#19615 - 01/12/06 06:04 AM Re: No-line eyeglasses and computers
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
TVC15....I started out with the no line bifocals, so I guess I wouldn't be any help.
Good luck!
Lynne

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved