The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131649 - 11/13/07 12:19 AM Copin': stress, nervousness before event
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What is your style of dealing with stress, nervousness before an anticipated event? Or does your coping mechanisms depend on magnitude/signifance of impeding event?

I'm prepping for yet, another job interview.

So best thing is to do some reading/prepare my brain, anticipate questions, have some good answers..and just somehow wing it. Get a few good soundbytes with examples. (Groan). I really have to control myself from blathering, thinking out loud during the interview.

Night before will try to be well-rested, eat healthy but not too much and have a clear mind. Hah...

I'm the sort of person that prefers to train myself as best as I can (SOMEHOW) or prepare my brain a tad, know just skeletal details of event, not really know the other participants/competitors (unless some are family or good friends), know the environment (location, weather) ..and just wing it.

#131650 - 11/13/07 01:00 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: orchid]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Orchid,

When I was interviewing for jobs - I had it in my mind that they would be lucky to get ME, and actually, I was interviewing THEM to see if I wanted the job.

Believing in yourself is huge in job interviewing.

Also, answering in your mind tough questions like "what are your weakness". "why did you leave your last job". Things like that.

You'll do well!

hugs,

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#131651 - 11/13/07 04:22 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: Danita]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh, this question brought back some very stressful memories of some very stressful events - like the time a group of us were singing in a fundraising show. I was playing the piano, accompanying other musicians and singers. We had rehearsed and I was very comfortable with the music - but when we got on stage that night with the lighting (which we had NOT rehearsed with), the red lights made my music disappear! I was panic-stricken, and to this day have no idea how I made it through, especially the piano solo. It was so disappointing since the song had been beautiful in rehearsals and I had really worked hard at preparing myself mentally for the stress of playing before hundreds of people that evening. But it was what it was...c'est la vie!

For job interviews, I used to research as much as possible all of the "w's"...who, what, when, where, why - especially why I was the best person for this job. So when I'd get in there, I'd be able to focus my answers around one of those "w's". During one job interview, it became clear about half-way through that I was going to get the job, and suddenly I realized that I didn't want it, that I really liked my current job. It was a rather exhilarating moment - I stood up and told the interviewer the truth and then went back to my job and never looked for another one again. Of course, I eventually had a complete nervous breakdown, but that's another story.

Good luck, and let us know it's going!

(Maya Angelou)

#131652 - 11/13/07 08:43 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: Eagle Heart]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Get as much data as you can about the company, and drop some tidbits of what you know during the interview. That impresses.

When I interviewed for real-estate agents at my company I preferred the low-key then the overly eager. For some reason I thought the eager-beaver to be fake. A friendly voice and personality was important to me.

Also someone willing to learn my sales method, and not insist on their own was ultra important. A wiliness to comply and of course to do your best is what helped me decide to hire someone.

When asked why you want to leave your present job; just be honest, but don’t volunteer too much information.

#131653 - 11/13/07 10:54 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I always interview for the firm. I am not HR but, they include me in the panel at second interviews. So, here are some of the questions I ask:

1. "Tell me about yourself". This brings out the personality of the candidate and an insight into their communication/interpersonal skills.

2. "Why are you leaving/did you leave your current/previous employment". I latch on to those who pursue to develop their skills and progressive careers and tick against those with negative remarks about current/previous employers (unless of course negative remarks are verifiable i.e. discrimination and bullying).

3. "What significant contribution do/did you have with current/previous employers?" I look out for hidden assets and where opportunities can arise to further develop that further within our firm.

4. "What transferrable skills do you possess?" It allows equal consideration for those who return to work or change of careers as with bringing more senior candidates on par with junior candidates. It also enhances skills acquired from employment.

5 Then I focus on technical details on par with job description. The candidate suitable for the post should match to a T.

6 I don't ask this but, HR does. "What salary do you expect?" That's a tricky one for most of the candidates. It could be the end all and be all sometimes where HR is concerned.

Hope that helps, Orchid. Best of luck!

#131654 - 11/13/07 12:34 PM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

One interview I had still makes me think

The post for for Manager of a Care home.For adults who were being released after long term care.This was called Community Care here in the UK.

High level interview.team of five.
Asked for opinion using academic back up about the residents.
I picked one example of a tribe who lived a remote valley in Africa who due to the remoteness were inter married resulting in only having two toes.That to these villagers this was the norm..yet we in the wider world could see the difference.That this new project had to keep in mind that the residents did not know what we as a society knew. We had the task to educate all.But not to make the residents like children.
It was as I was in full flow that I saw one member of the panel was a black man and the others were over embarrased.
I still think my analogy is ok.but I dont think the four white members of the panel heard me after I named the location of the tribe...The black man was fine but I had insight of not being heard.

I did not get the post...but learned a lot about what people dont want to hear.I think often lip service is paid at interviews and cv and experience count as much the face to face interview.
Mountain ash

#131655 - 11/14/07 04:22 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Gee Mountain, what an interview..I agree at interviews, people tend to hear only what they want to hear. Nothing upsetting or too wierd in their experience.

I've had various interviews over the years, some successful and others not. Have also interviewed people to hire. Have my own stories.

Well, yes practice does help...somewhat. Have this feeling the head honcho of organization is a demanding person. Who knows.

But what the hey. If no luck, I still have a job for now.

I was asking the question in general, about coping with stress while anticipating something unknown in near future...

#131656 - 11/14/07 03:43 PM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Research, preparation, then silence before the interview. Silence and a prayer for clarity of mind and God's presence are essential for me.

I am forever speaking with people I've met online about advertising and/or joining the NABBW. That is what I practice in a nut shell.

When is the interview?

#131657 - 11/16/07 04:10 AM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event
orchid Offline

soon. I'm prepping for it..

#131658 - 11/16/07 01:00 PM Re: Copin': stress, nervousness before event [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good grief...whatever happened to sleeping your way to the top?

whatttt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved