I went through menopause almost 10 years ago. early, i'm only 52 now. Had minimal symptoms. small hot flashes. In the last few months I have started having some fairly major hot flashes.

In speaking with my physician we sort of came to the opinion that the probable cause is stress. Without going into details there is quite a lot of stress going on in my life at the moment. Stuff happens. She suggested effexor and that did help for a while. However, the effectiveness lessened, and I was suffering from some unpleasant side effects. So we've now switched to bellamine. It helps a little.

However, and here's my question. The hot flashes are unlike any I had during the whole menopause phase. Longer, stronger, much more sweating. I even have times where I've been chilled by the temperature outside or in the room I'm in and still I start sweating. Face, back of neck, chest, etc.

I have not ever used hormone replacement because my mother had breast cancer and I felt the risk was greater than the reward. During menopause I lessened the flashes by taking vitamin e and black cohosh. About a year and a half ago I stopped taking those because I had gastric bypass surgery and for a while any medications were a little iffy because of healing. The new hot flashes didn't start until about 4 months ago. My surgeon and my regular physician do not thing the surgery has anything to do with the hot flashes.

In doing some searching I'm not really finding other reasons for hot flashes post menopause other than the stress. Is that true? It just feels like my whole system is not regulating its temperature correctly. Can you give me any other reasons? Any info would be appreciated.