quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:
However, and take it from someone who ONLY MEANS of support was this job (at the time), saying, "I feel your pain" when he doesn't... and he knows it, and I know it, was an insult and added to the injury. Its never happened to him, he's never walked in my shoes, so how could he? It would be like a man telling me he knew what it was like giving birth. Don't think so.

JJ, Saying "I feel your pain" to someone who is being laid off is as crude as saying the same thing to someone whose loved one has just died. It's unfeeling and stupid. No one can "know anyone else's pain."

However, I hope you can forgive him. There simply is no training for laying people off and no one seems to know how to handle it. People get anxious and in their anxiety, they do stupid things.

He may well have been laid off at some time and perhaps felt that it qualified him to say that. Almost everyone seems to face at least one lay off during their career. And no one ever seems to completely get over it. Those who spoke of that happening to them even decades before seemed to relive the pain each time they remembered it.

As to his bonus, a large amount of money is probably the only way a company can get anyone to do that job. It would take a ton of money to get me to do it for sure. And they would have to pay for me a full time shrink too.

I think I learned more in that short personnel agency experience and by leasing my commercial building than from anything I've ever done. It was a real education.

smile

P.S. Forgiving that guy is for YOU. Not HIM.

[ November 30, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]