Judy-
I hope now to answer a question you had for me on page 2, I believe. You asked what I had done through my career and how I ended up where I am.

Since it took 30 years to get here, I will summarize.

My husband and I owned a large, traditional wooden sailing ship. We took people on week long vacations, made movies, commercials, sail training for the girls scouts and boy scouts, participated in the Mariel boatlift. Just about anything that was legal to keep the business afloat (no pun intended). We did this for 10 years. It was an expereience that I would not trade for the world. We had a crew of 7 and when we went to sea for extended periods we preferred a crew of twelve+. Not that we always got them. Many times some were unpaid, they got the sea experience and we got the muscle. Maintain an historic sailing ship, an income flow and a full time crew was a lot of work. My insights and imagination in the workplace come mainly from my skills that were developed under some unbelievable hardships but through that came the creativity to survive. Literally and figuratively.

After we sold the schooner, some time was taken to get adjusted to land again. My next big career move was with a private residential school for juvenile delinquents. It was a wonderful campus setting for chronic deep end offenders from the region in which I live. I worked in this field for the next 20 years and worked liked it was my own business because I did not know any better.

The juvenile justice field is very cut throat and lucrative. It is as big a rat race as the big 500 but nobody really wants to call that out because we are talking about rehabilitating juveniles and that does not sit well with making big money.

Both of these environments were male dominated. But they were vastly different in how they treated women. I learned to "hang" aboard ship so I understood what was going on in the delinquent field. It gave me an edge. I became very valuable throughout the industry and would have been in demand if I wanted to stay and did not sign the contract (non-compete)upon my resignation.

I wanted something different but education based. I was appalled at grown men who had their lips firmly placed upon another man's rear end and both of them enjoying it but acting like it was not happening. Makes my stomach roll. It was all for money and status.

I now work for a state agency that serves the public and private education system in PA. I am in the business end, using my organizational skills. I have great retirement and benefits.

Since I have only been there one month I am still observing and assessing. This conversation has been immensely helpful to me in gathering my thoughts. The timing has been perfect. I work with males and females that appear to get along. The mission of the organization is wholesome and abided. So far, I see an organization that nurtures its people, definetly educates them and tries to go win-win. I hope this view continues.

I am too new to know about the gossip chain but the gossipers will find me I'm sure.

I agree with you that you must speak up with honesty and integrity before things get out of hand. I also believe when you speak it is best to suggest a solution or remedy that can be thrown out but at least it begins discussion on the positive aspect rather than dwelling on the problem.

So sorry for such a long post and possibly derailing the flow here but I did want to answer your question. Thanks for listening.

Lynn