Smile-- We must have been posting at the same time because I didn't see your response until now. I had no clue about the derivation of the word "enthusiasm." How interesting...and validating. (I, too, am an all-around enthusiast.) Thank you for passing it along.

Your observation reminded me of something that happened when I was a high school English teacher. I always taught Greek & Latin roots. The Latin root of the word "meticulous" is "metus," which means fear. When I shared this with my students, one of them blurted out, "So what are YOU afraid of, Mrs. Boyle?" Everyone laughed, including me. They sure had my number! [Roll Eyes] My classroom was probably the neatest in the school. It was beautiful--at least in my opinion--with jewel-toned maps, Shakespearean memorobilia, and even an arty-looking green lamp to soften the florescent lighting. But every stack of paper, every pile of books, every doo-dad (I kept a collection of 3-D puzzles & "toys" on my desk to calm fidgety ninth-graders during one-on-one conferences) was arranged just so.

Related to this, when I first started writing, I had trouble finding my voice. I kept censoring myself. I wanted every paragraph to be a work of art. Plus I was afraid of offending people. (Can you believe that now I'm giving workshops to help others find their voices?) Natalie Goldberg's book Wild Mind was a tremendous help in this regard. I did her writing exercises every morning for a while, and they slowly loosened the knots inside my head.