Hi!

I wanted to return to the posts about public speaking. I, too, used to get so nervous (stems from my childhood and a bad piano competition). I suddenly drew a blank and couldn't remember how to play. Yikes!

Anyway, I solved my "problem" like Prill did. I joined Toastmasters. I bet they have a chapter near you!! It's a painful, first step (well, okay . . . it was for me), but the "training" quickly helped me move past my fears. You learn (as well as your body--meaning your physical reactions to fear) that it's going to be okay. Of course, this is advice for future speaking engagements.

Prill's advice about your hands is great too. Podiums are a wonderful way to mask things and a good place to put your notes. By participating in Toastmasters, you'll learn how to stand, where to put your hands, how to craft interesting, entertaining speeches.

Re: Smile's self-promotion issues . . . I think it's about finding a message that fits what you are trying to do and say and that resonates with you. Dotsie had some great ideas. Consider creating a platform that encompasses your message, project or work. Also be honest. For example, I remember getting a letter from an author friend. It was actually a "mass" e-mailing introducing a new book that she highly recommended. I new that if I bought the book, she would get a commission. I was okay with that. I mean, she had not steered me wrong yet, and I didn't mind her profiting from my purchase. So, I ordered the book. When I got the book, I quickly discovered why she was "really" promoting it. She was featured. Now, she didn't mention being featured in the mass mailing. This bothered me. I guess I wish she had sent an e-mail telling us about being featured and then if we wanted to buy it either because she was in it or it was a great book, then we could. And, I would have gladly purchased the book for the "real" reason.

But . . . oh well.

Prill--
I've enjoyed catching up on all the posts. Thanks for sharing your agent and publisher story with us.

[ January 11, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Queen Me ]