I thought I’d have a calm day catching up on e-mail and luxuriating here in the forum. Then the phone rang at 10 a.m., and the day took on a life of its own. It was a newspaper reporter calling, wanting to come interview me this afternoon for a profile piece. I had sent her editor a copy of the book last spring, and nothing came of it. I forgot all about it. But then this reporter, who believes in my message, decided that she wanted to help me promote my book. Isn’t that wild? Not only because she was coming from a place of such generosity, but because the seed was planted months ago and just sprouted this morning.

I love it! It validates my approach to marketing. I visualize my efforts at book promotion as planting seeds. I just keep spreading them as widely as I can. I try not to worry about when—or even if—they’ll pop through the soil. I content myself with knowing that some will take root and others won’t. I do, of course, make an attempt to select fertile ground. Sometimes I even prepare the soil myself. (For example, I spent all last week reading women's magazines, trying to decide which ones would be best for my Mother's Day pitch.) But other than being a teeny bit discriminatory about where I toss them, I just keep spreading my seeds.

Anyway, the phone started ringing off the hook right after the reporter left, and it’s just now that I’m back on-line. I love all the postings that have appeared in my absence!

Speakermom— How cool that you did an interview with Jordan Rich today. He’s got a huge heart, doesn’t he? (Are you aware of all he does for Children’s Hospital in Boston?) Kudos to you for following through on my tip.

As for your comments about being bold, I totally agree. I think it’s bold to be a writer period—to speak our truth "aloud"--not to mention opening ourselves up to public rejection. I love all of JJ’s comments on the topic. It’s important to keep a sense of humor.

Dotsie— How beautifully you articulate the idea of us being perennials.

And, finally, Dianne— That your story mirrors mine makes both sweeter.

Gotta to go eat. Looking forward to hearing more from everyone. Like I said in the beginning, we all have so much to teach one another.