I am Cherokee and in my family, no one finished high school and I didn't even know what college was. But education somehow became an important part of my life.
I finished high school two years early and got married at 17. I worked as a nurse aide and thought it would be my life career. But when the hospital offered a scholarshp I became an R.N. I was so proud of that license and assumed nursing would be my life work.
Then I had a car accident and couldn't work as a nurse so I got another scholarship and went back to college. Before I finished I married and moved away. Then I divorced and came back to my home state. I developed cancer, but finished a degree in business adm. before allowing the surgery. While recovering, I started a business and remarried. I finished a graduate degree at 47 and was accepted to a doctoral program. I still attend classes some and may still finish it.

I sometimes wonder if I am adopted. No one else in my family went to college. I think I did it because I kept getting jobs for which I was not truly qualified and I kept thinking if I could become educated I would no longer be an imposter.

I still love education. I like the classes and learning. But I also respect those who choose not to pursue education if they are happy with that choice.
However, if not having a degree bothers you, go to the college and enroll. Talk to the financial aids person to see if there is a scholarship for you. If so apply. If not, mortgage something, get a loan, sell your car. Move into a smaller place. Do what you have to do to achieve your dream. Even if you don't know what you want to study, just go. Enroll in the basics knowing that your interests will evolve. Then just go. Go to every class. Sit there and soak up all you can. Enjoy the process. It's work, but it's an investment in yourself and in your stature. But only if you finish.
If education does not matter to you, do whatever you want without it and be proud of what you achieved. But if you value education and are going to feel, as I did, like an imposter around your peeers who have an education, do whatever you have to do to get yourself through college.

Whether you ever use the degree in a job or not, it is worthwhile. For me, it was a foot in the door of the middle class. It gave me the quiet confidence of knowing I could do it too.
Pray for wisdom and then just DO it.
smile

[ February 03, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]