Dear Sugaree, and Dianne, Sugar, I could have written your post myself when I was 40. I'm 50 now, and when I was 46 I did go back to school and I got a degree in social work. College in mid life was a totally enriching and enlightening experience. But you know what evolved? My book! For that I needed the education of life experience. It seems my purpose is not in being a social worker, but in bringing awareness to social problems, such as childhood abuse and domestic violence. Did I need a degree for that? No, but the experience of college fulfilled a need. You see, PTSD kept me from concentrating when I was younger, although at the time I did not know it was PTSD. How I doubted my ability to keep my head above water long enough to complete anything! So, I understand. I'm curious to know what you are doing for work. Evidently, you have made some contribution that impresses others. Apparently they recognize your qualities, even if you don't just yet. I too am scared of my financial future because I haven't "worked" since 1995, when my true healing began. But I know my God given "work" is within my book and the presentations surrounding it. Sometimes I am wistful about wanting a Ph.D. But I must accept what it is within my heart to do, and not be swayed by my ego head, and not compare myself to others. Dianne, I was a writer before I was an author. Teachers would tell me that I was a writer, and to write what I knew about. Start with your summer vacation, they would say. If only they knew what I knew about my summer vacation. Lo and behold, I did write about what I know. I know abuse, but I also know hope and healing, and so do you two! Love and Light, Lynn