I love second-hand stores and I love knick-knacks! I was born and raised in a knick-knacked house. I admit that at times it was overwhelming, especially having to dust all those little things. But now, some of those same knick-knacks are cherished treasures because of their link to my Mom.

But we're careful not to overdo it. We keep a few treasured ones around, the rest we've managed to give to nieces (who also remember them from Granny's house).

I love any gift that anyone gives us. I love that they took the time and care to pick something special out. We keep all of these around for 2-3 years, because we see them as decorating our house with the light and love of our loved ones.

But we do a major clean-out of these little things every so often, keep the ones that we've grown fond of and give the rest away (or take them to Cuba to give to our friends there).

When I was younger, on my own and very poor, I relied on the second hand stores for all of my clothing. I would not have survived without thrift stores and food banks. So I still go back to buy basic clothing and accessories there, then augment my wardrobe with store-bought stuff as needed. I like the idea of recycling and reusing, and repurposing too, instead of always buying "new".

(Maya Angelou)