Jabber, I'm sure most daughters love their Dads, or at least yearn for a solid relationship with him.

I was very blessed - I had very little connection with my Dad while growing up. What relationship we had was based on fear, because for my entire childhood it was drilled into me not to complain or worry my Dad or he would have a heart attack. So I grew up terrified that I would be the one to give him a heart attack, so rarely ever talked to him.

Then in the mid-80's, I wrote him a long, LONG letter, pouring out my heart. To my utter surprise and delight, he answered me with an exquisitely tender letter, which I still have, telling me how much he had always loved me. He also explained a lot of his own religious background which had made it difficult for him to be affectionate with me. He answered a lot of burning questions, and from that moment on, we enjoyed a wonderful relationship. I would call him when I knew Mom wasn't home, and we would talk for close to an hour (he rarely ever talked on the phone).

So I got a second chance to enjoy my Dad. When my hubby came on the scene, he and Dad got along so well, and would spend hours in the basement talking about his life and upbringing, things I'd never heard or known before. My hubby knows more about my Dad than I do! But now it's good, because with my terrible memory, it's very comforting that hubby remembers all of these conversations and tells me wonderful stories about my own Dad.

(Maya Angelou)