Originally Posted By: gims
Originally Posted By: Dancing Dolphin
I've told my husband that my ideal retirement place is one where I can walk and use public transportation, then rent a car or fly somewhere for longer trips.

DD, I'm thinking on those very same lines.... I wish I was around the corner from the library and post office... working at either would be great, but I'd want to live close enough to walk. Our downtown is ALL lawyers and restaurants, along with a small (but developing) art community. I'd love to live near it, and work at the courthouse, but DH loves the country. Not that I don't. When I'm here, it's like heaven. But, getting places is a pain... !!!

Orchid, what got you interested in that line of work? was it by chance, or did someone/thing steer you in that direction? or, did you happen upon it? or, what?

To Gims: You sound like you live so near my neck of the woods. In South Jersey, every town is small, and mine is next to the county seat, which has nothing but lawyers, business offices, boutiques, cafes, and a few court houses. Libraries and post offices are practically on every corner.

To Orchid: You are so lucky to be a research librarian, which to me is a dream job. I'd love to be a Literacy Volunteer, but have not managed to do it yet. Maybe if I put this keyboard in a closet! hahaha