Meredith, you sound like a good business woman who weighs all the pros and cons. I would definitely try to bargain with the shop owners. Tell them you are interested,…but act like you have a choice of owners wanting your wares. You make the terms, after all you are drumming business for them! Tell them you only work on a commission basis. They are most likely feeling the economy slump as well, and your beautiful jewellery gets people into their store. I think if you have to pay them to display your jewellery plus a commission then it sounds like a rip off.

I used to sell pewter gift items at Christmas fairs during the Christmas season. I remember standing behind my booth, my items lovely displayed on thick velvet cloth, and watch over my empty counter how the crowds gathered in front of the food stands.

When I was able to place my booth between food stands, my sales went up 100%. People munched and needed something to look at. If I had continued along this line, I would have started a food business myself and displayed my gift items along the side. It’s pretty sad, but it’s true. You need a gimmick to sell, in order to stand out over the competition. And no matter how rocky the economy is; people got to eat. What if you tried to display at coffee shops and/or restaurants?

Just a thought to add to your own good ones.